|Vehicles drive through deep water on a flooded road in The Nine Elms district of London on July 25, 2021 during heavy rain. Buses and cars were left stranded when roads across London flooded on Sunday, as repeated thunderstorms battered the British capital. JUSTIN TALLIS / AFP|
Emergency services were battling “significant flooding across London”, Mayor Sadiq Khan tweeted, adding that all public transport services were affected and advising people to avoid walking or driving through flooded areas.
Social media users posted videos of partially submerged vehicles in southwest London, with more heavy rain set to fall as a band of thunderstorms made its way across southeast England.
The Met Office issued an amber weather warning across London and surrounding counties until 7 pm local time (1800 GMT).
It warned there was a risk of lightning strikes and flooding, with up to 10 centimetres (four inches) of rain forecast to fall in some areas, almost double the monthly average for July.
Police closed a road near Queenstown Road station in southwest London, where three double-decker London buses were stuck under a railway bridge, according to an AFP journalist.
A driver, who gave his name as Eric, said passengers had to get off after his bus started taking on water.
Other motorists in Walthamstow, northeast London, abandoned their vehicles as the rain hammered down.
Police said they were “currently dealing with numerous floods in the east,” warning that tunnels and roundabouts were submerged.
- Moment car slams into pedestrian crossing South London road seconds after little girl crosses with woman
- Monster storm could bring state’s worst flooding in over a decade
- One killed, 13 missing as storm Wipha causes flash floods in Thanh Hoa
- Flood alerts in southwest France deadly after storm
- Flood alerts in southwest France after deadly storm
- Ronan Keating's pregnant wife Storm shows off her blossoming baby bump in a pink gown as the happy couple step out for glitzy charity bash
- The Clash: How London Calling still inspires 40 years on
- Greenhouses, deforestation in focus as flooding toll rises in Central Highlands
- Severe storms ease in South-East Queensland
- Damning report names London Fire Brigade as 'one of the worst in the country', with commanders still 'inadequately' trained two and a half years after Grenfell Tower disaster
- Boris Johnson storms home: Exit poll shows Tories WINNING crucial election as voters hand PM a majority to 'get Brexit done' - with Labour's 'red wall' of Leave-leaning strongholds crumbling
- Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast hit by very dangerous storms, BOM warns of flash flooding
- Storm Callum: Almost 200 Welsh homes hit by flooding
- Brisbane storm brings short burst of heavy rain as giant hail falls on Sunshine and Gold coasts
- ‘She Should Be Here, Not Me’: Woman’s Body Found In Bridgeville After Heavy Rains, Flooding
- Delta to spend N18bn on Warri, Uvwie storm drainage projects
- 'Major and Historic' Flooding in Nebraska, Iowa Causes Deaths, Miles of Land Under Water, How to Help
- What would an entirely flood-proof city look like?
- A tale of two metros: how the London tube beat the New York subway
- ‘Juiced Up’ Storm Will Bring Heavy Rain, Localized Flooding
London roads flood as storms roll in have 501 words, post on vir.com.vn at July 26, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.