HÀ NỘI — Badminton player Nguyễn Thùy Linh ended her Olympic journey with an easy win over Switzerland’s Sabrina Jaquet in the women's singles in Group P in Tokyo on Wednesday.
Vietnamese Linh, world No 49, needed 33 minutes to beat Jaquet 21-8, 21-17 in the last match of the group. She avenged her previous defeat to the world No 46 rival at the Russian Open in 2019.
It was Linh's second win, putting her in the second position in the group but not enough to push her into the next round.
She made a new mark for Việt Nam as it is the first time that a Vietnamese badminton player has grabbed two wins at an Olympics.
Previously, her seniors Lê Ngọc Nguyên Nhung and Vũ Thị Trang could win only once at the 2008 and 2016 competitions, respectively.
Two hours later, archer Đỗ Thị Ánh Nguyệt competed in the women's individual event. She was against host competitor Ren Hayakawa.
Nguyệt, 20, is the youngest member of Việt Nam Team, and it is the first Olympics of her career. Meanwhile Ren is more experienced, and was tasting the Olympic atmosphere for the second time. She won a bronze in the women's team event in 2012 in London and another in the Asian Games in 2014.
Nguyệt caused surprised when she won the first and third sets and drew in the fourth, forcing Ren to work hard to level the score with wins in the second and fifth set. The 2-2 result pushed them to a shoot-off, but Nguyệt could not control her nerves and scored only seven points while Ren made eight and advanced to the next round.
Later today, boxer Nguyễn Văn Đương will enter the ring against Erdenebat Tsendbaatar of Mongolia. VNS
- 20 Years Ago This Week, Michelle Kwan Did Not Win Olympic Gold In Nagano
- Manu Bhaker Secures India's 7th Olympic Quota In Shooting, Misses Medal Narrowly
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Olympic slalom
- Ted Ligety wins Olympic giant slalom
- Indian Men's Hockey Team Hammers New Zealand 5-0 To Win Olympic Test Event
- Canada’s Denny Morrison wins Olympic speed skating bronze in men’s 1,500 metres
- Blood Thicker Than Water For Olympic-Bound Indian Rower Dattu Bhokanal
- PV Sindhu vs Akane Yamaguchi Highlights, All England Badminton Championships: Sindhu Loses In Semi-Final
- PV Sindhu's Epic Feat In 2016 Rio Olympics Shows Indian Badminton In Safe Hands
- Commonwealth Games 2018: Saina Nehwal Beats PV Sindhu To Win Women's Singles Gold
- It's Olympic Qualification Year, So Taking It Step By Step, Says PV Sindhu
- World Championships 2018: Incredible PV Sindhu Enters Second Successive Final
- This Is The Golden Era Of Indian Badminton, Says Legend Nandu Natekar
- PV Sindhu Beats Nozomi Okuhara To Win Historic World Championships Gold
- Saina Nehwal, Six Other Indian Badminton Players Qualify For Olympics
- Kidambi Srikanth, India's Badminton Medal Hope At Asiad
- Badminton Asia Championships 2018: PV Sindhu, Saina Nehwal, Kidambi Srikanth Enter Quarters
- Saina Nehwal Happy With Super Series Title Win After Marriage, Calls It "Dream Run"
- Asian Games 2018: Indian Women's Badminton Team Hopes To Add To CWG Glory
- Lakshya Sen Wins Dutch Open To Clinch Maiden BWF World Tour Title
Linh secures second badminton win in Olympics have 555 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 28, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.