Vietnamese Quách Thị Lan (right) competes in the women’s 400m hurdles heat together with USA’s Sydney McLaughlin, Denmark’s Sara Slott Petersen and Panama’s Gianna Woodruff (from left to right) during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games on July 31. AFP/VNA Photo
The Vietnamese runner placed fifth in Heat 3 of qualifications with a time of 55.71 seconds. It is her seasonal best but did not initially allow her to enter semi-finals.
However, after Jamaican Leah Nugent was disqualified for a lane infringement error, Lan was promoted to fourth place and secured her next round slot.
Lan is the first Vietnamese representative to compete in an athletic semi-finals at any Games.
"My coach asked me to be comfortable during the run and I was,” said Lan whose idol Sydney McLaughlin was in same heat and finished first with a time of 54.65 seconds.
“Competing against the world’s leading runners including Sydney is a great experience.
"It is one of two best results that I have made in career. The best one was 55.30 seconds that helped me win gold medal from the 2018 Asian Games."
Lan added that she felt exciting chasing McLaughlin during the race.
She is among 24 athletes in the semi-finals which will take place on August 2 at the Tokyo Olympics Stadium. Lan is the only Asian representative.
She will receive a US$830 bonus from the Việt Nam Athletics Federation as promised if she earned semi-finals slot, and a grant of $1,000 from M&C Group, a corporation run by Vietnamese general director Tạ Thị Quỳnh Liên who is also a volunteer at the Olympics.
"I made technical mistakes in the last two hurdles,” she added.
“I will fix it and do better in the semis. Running as one of 24 best athletes at Olympics is an honour. It is a chance to learn and perfect my abilities."
- Ulster quartet reach the semi-finals
- Islington Boxing Club’s ‘Split Specialist’ reaches London semi-finals
- Semi-final spot would match biggest achievements in Warrenpoint's history, says hero of previous Cup tie with Larne Tech
- We'll plan professionally to beat Larne Tech OB and reach first Irish Cup semi-finals, says Warrenpoint boss
- We'll plan professionally to beat Larne Tech OB and reach first Irish Cup semi-final, says Warrenpoint boss
- Ballinamallard's band of 'best friends' determined to make history by reaching Irish Cup final, says Campbell
- 5 talking points ahead of the FA Cup semi-finals
- ATP Finals 2018 Day 5: Federer, Anderson qualify for semi-finals; Thiem, Nishikori crash out
- Sports England move into semi-finals after 2-0 win over Sweden Photographer travels throughout Vietnam to take photos of garbage
- Richard Clarke thrilled to help Ballinamallard restore lost pride in Irish Cup semi-final
- Warrenpoint captain Kelly keen to tee up another 'best day' with Irish Cup semi-final win
- 5 talking points ahead of the Carabao Cup semi-finals
- Cooney is ready for semi-final battle to be family affair
- Thiem: I don't deserve ATP Finals semi-final place
- Doncaster can make history by storming the Palace, insists McCann
- Men's and women's semi-finals set at Australian Open
- Manchester City see off Leicester on penalties to reach Carabao Cup semi-finals
- England shock Argentina 3-2 to move into World Cup semi-finals
- Hugo Lloris says Spurs are ready to suffer to overcome Manchester City and reach Champions League semi-finals
- The four teams that will reach the Cricket World Cup semi-finals
Lan makes history reaching Olympic semi-finals have 564 words, post on dtinews.vn at July 31, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.