Exports of ST25, ST24 rice surge
By Trung Chanh
|A pavilion sells various rice varieties originating in Soc Trang Province, including ST24 rice. The U.S. and China are the largest buyers of Vietnam's ST24 and ST25 rice – PHOTO: HD|
CAN THO – Exports of ST25 and ST24 rice, two Vietnamese rice varieties that were the top winners at global rice competitions, have achieved impressive growth.
Data of the General Department of Vietnam Customs showed that Vietnam exported nearly 3 million tons of rice worth US$1.64 billion in the first half of 2021, falling 14.8% in volume and 4.7% in value compared with the same period last year.
However, exports of ST25 and ST24 rice surged although these are two new varieties.
In the first five months of 2021, Vietnam exported 23,560 tons of ST24 rice and 2,570 tons of ST25 rice, soaring 800% and 1,470% year-on-year, respectively.
Some 90% of Vietnam's ST24 rice was exported to China, while almost 100% of ST25 rice was shipped to the United States.
Nguyen Thanh Phong, director of Van Loi, a rice trading and exporting company, said that exports of the two premium rice varieties would continue to surge in the coming time if Vietnam maintains the quality of rice and has effective marketing strategies.
Phong expected that ST25 and ST24 rice will be exported to many other countries besides the U.S. and China.
The ST25 rice variety was crossbred in the Mekong Delta province of Soc Trang by a three-member team of two agriculture engineers—Ho Quang Cua and Nguyen Thi Thu Huong—and Dr. Tran Tan Phuong.
It was crowned the world's best rice at the World's Best Rice competition on November 12, 2019, the first time that Vietnam won the highest award at the contest, which is organized by The Rice Trader, a publication that provides in-depth analysis of the global rice industry.
Meanwhile, ST24 rice ranked second among the three most delicious rice varieties in the world at the ninth World Rice Conference in Macau from November 6 to 8, 2017.
However, it has been found that the ST25 rice trademark has been registered for protection at the United States Patent and Trademark Office by some foreign companies. Although investigations into the case have not been concluded, it showed that ST25 is the favorite rice of the U.S.
- U.S. leaders agree to lift 4-decade ban on oil exports
- U.S. economy grows 3.2% in fourth quarter as Americans go on buying spree, exports expand
- Domestic violence advocates hope Ray Rice decision does not discourage other women from reporting abuse
- Your nabe: Little Manila in Woodside Queens; Surge of Filipino residents call Roosevelt Ave. home
- Condi Rice: The World Isn't Listening to Us Anymore
- Hurricane Irma on target for a direct hit on Tampa, bringing threat of deadly storm surge
- Hurricane Irma roars toward Florida with a threat of devastating winds, storm surge to both coasts
- Battery surge: The technology is here, but 'demand rates' might be key to promoting them
- Ethiopia's teff grain set to be the world's next superfood
- Who is winning the crude oil market share war in China?
- GE: Greenville won't get jobs because of Congress
- Hurricane Irma: What we know now as the storm makes landfall in Southwest Florida
- Fact check: Keystone pipeline spin
- Most ‘competitive’ oil in the world befuddles analysts
- China’s ‘firewater’ may make its way to the U.S.
- U.S. businesses eye new opportunities in Cuba
- Economic growth slowing in China and India, data suggests — is their boom over?
- Hurricane Irma: Thousands evacuate to Germain Arena in Estero; shelter at capacity
- 'Sweet spots' fueling U.S. shale oil boom 'will not last forever': Saudi Aramco CEO
- Stasi: Obama believes we can wipe out ISIS with bombs
Exports of ST25, ST24 rice surge have 603 words, post on english.thesaigontimes.vn at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.