HÀ NỘI — Checkpoints established to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Hà Nội are creating traffic jams around the city.
A Vietnam News Agency correspondent photographed the Liên Ninh toll station on Pháp Vân-Cầu Giẽ Highway in Thanh Trì District, with thousands of cars lined up for kilometres, at about 8am on Tuesday.
At the medical declaration desk, dozens of people were crammed together, causing problems for the control force. It has reportedly taken hours for some vehicles to get through.
At a similar checkpoint on Highway 5 in Gia Lâm District, at 10am on Tuesday, hundreds of vehicles stretched for about two kilometres leading to traffic jams.
Hà Nội Police confirmed there was congestion at a number of checkpoints and medical staff and the police force were stretched thin.
Colonel Dương Đức Hải, head of the Traffic Police Department said that his unit has assigned 795 traffic police, 421 mobile police, 812 medical officers, 539 grassroots officials and many other forces have participated in 22 posts throughout the day.
Block source of infection
At a meeting of the Steering Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control in Hà Nội on Tuesday afternoon, deputy director of the Hà Nội Public Security Department Trần Ngọc Dương said that the control of vehicles at 22 checkpoints were caused by the lack of manpower. In particular more medical staff were needed.
To overcome this, the department has arranged more personnel to reduce the load at the checkpoints. In addition, the unit has also assigned different lanes for trucks and container trucks to pass through without stopping.
Director of the Department of Transport Vũ Văn Viện said that the department had stopped passenger cars to 37 provinces and cities to ensure a 50 per cent reduction in passengers on public transport.
Chairman of the Hà Nội People’s Committee Chu Ngọc Anh on Tuesday also directed the Department of Health and related units to quickly assess medical declarations by scanning QR codes to manage people entering and leaving the city, especially from pandemic areas to ensure effective prevention of the pandemic. — VNS
- Paris witnesses 700-km-long traffic jam as second COVID-19 lockdown begins in France
- Traffic jams on Lagos’ ports roads will end in October, says Sanwo-Olu
- Climate activists abseil from bridges, halt Frankfurt rush-hour traffic
- Why did the geese cross the road? Drivers wait patiently as a gaggle of waddling birds stop the traffic in south-east London
- Hacked Billboards Can Make Teslas See 'Phantom Objects,' Causing Them to Swerve or Stop Abruptly
- Unending traffic snarls, crowd trouble at stations: Government admits it miscalculated the on-ground impact of Unlock IV
- Philadelphia City Councilmember To Propose Bill Banning Police From Stopping Drivers For Minor Traffic Violations
- Dramatic aerial photos reveal the devastation caused by 200 wildfires raging across California, Oregon and Washington leaving at least seven dead and incinerating 3.4m acres
- Drug driver, 35, is jailed for 10 years for killing passenger in head on crash while high on cocaine - after she left him to die on the back seat as she fled the scene in a taxi
- Shopping online has a high price-tag
- Boy, 2, dies after babysitter crashes car then 'heads home to put him to bed'
- One final spell of summer sun! Britons head to beauty spots and beaches as temperatures hit 70F today before soaring to 87F next week
- Microsoft has a brilliant new idea for working from home. You may not like it
- Pictured: Toddler who was killed by 'drugged driver' while out in her pushchair in horrific road crash as her injured mother says 'we didn't stand a chance'
- Berkeley has a packed November ballot with police reform, taxes up for a vote
- The last taste of freedom! Young people head to restaurants and bars across the UK on the final weekend before strict 'rule of six' measures are enforced next week
- As cities reopen and roads get busier, traffic reporters are back on their game
- More Space, Less Jam: Transportation Agency Uses NVIDIA DRIVE for Federal Highway Pilot
- Watch Dogs 2 - CyberDriver missions: Hack and Run, Get Smart Car, Not So Smart Car and Cyber Stunt Driver
- The drivers brought to a halt by almost EMPTY cycle lanes: Audit of traffic reveals how £225million green scheme is squeezing furious motorists onto narrowed streets next to deserted bike lanes
Checkpoints cause traffic jams for drivers heading into Hà Nội have 737 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 21, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.