The statement came after leaked letters showed last week that the drugmaker had offered to supply 5-6 million vaccine doses a month to Thailand, contradicting assertions by Thai officials that the government is owed 10 million a month and 61 million doses by end-2021.
AstraZeneca is scouring over 20 supply chains in its worldwide manufacturing network to find additional vaccines for Southeast Asia, including Thailand, said James Teague, managing director of AstraZeneca Thailand.
“We are hopeful of importing additional doses in the months ahead,” he added.
Teague said AstraZeneca has delivered 9 million does so far to Thailand and will deliver 2.3 million more next week.
Thailand has fully inoculated just 5.56 percent of its population of more than 66 million so far, while 18.62 percent have received at least one dose, government data shows.
The drugmaker had previously said vaccine doses for Thailand and Southeast Asia would come from a plant of its Thai partner Siam Bioscience, owned by Thailand’s king.
Siam Bioscience has not commented on reports of production shortfalls or delivery timelines.
Pressure has been mounting on the company after Thailand said it was considering imposing limits on exports of locally manufactured AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine s to shore up domestic supplies, a move that could hit its neighbours, some of which are battling similar or more severe COVID-19 crises./.
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia May 18
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia May 22
- US-led trade network could strengthen Vietnam’s place in global supply chains
- Serum Institute, AstraZeneca in talks for vaccine Supply
- AstraZeneca to make billion Covid vaccine doses if tests succeed
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia May 21
- Thai researcher eyes affordable, accessible coronavirus vaccine for SE Asia
- AstraZeneca could supply potential coronavirus vaccine from September
- Novavax aims to make one billion COVID-19 vaccine doses after buying plant
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia May 27
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia May 28
- UK to get 30million coronavirus vaccine doses 'by September' - if it works
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia May 26
- Pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca has capacity to make ONE BILLION doses of Oxford University's experimental COVID-19 vaccine amid hopes it could be ready for September
- Asia Today: S. Korean students return to class; 32 new cases
- Asia Today: S Korean students return to class; 32 new cases
- UK researchers start recruiting over 10,000 volunteers for next phase of clinical trials that could unlock coronavirus vaccine this year
- U.S. secures 300 million doses of potential AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine
- US orders 300 MILLION doses of Oxford University's potential coronavirus vaccine after investing $1bn with AstraZeneca in its development
- AstraZeneca partners with Oxford Biomedica to expand COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing capacity
AstraZeneca scours supply chain for more vaccine doses for Southeast Asia have 461 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at July 25, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.