A WOMAN has died after a security guard pretending to be a doctor performed surgery on her.
Shameema Begum, 80, died two weeks after former security guard Muhammad Waheed Butt performed an operation on her in one of Pakistan's biggest hospitals.
Her family told Geo TV that they took Begum to Mayo hospital in Lahore on May 17 for surgery to treat a back wound.
They claim Butt then approached them impersonating a doctor and offered to help them – and they paid him for the surgery and two home visits to redress the wound.
However the wound worsened and started bleeding profusely, leading the family to raise the alarm.
And terrifyingly, when the family returned to the hospital they were told that no doctor by that name was employed there.
However they soon found out that Butt had formerly been employed as a security guard.
A spokesperson for Mayo hospital told AFP news agency: "We can't keep up with what every doctor and what everyone is doing at all times. It's a large hospital."
They added that it was still unclear what type of surgery was performed in the hospital's operating theatre.
The hospital's medical superintendent, Dr Iftikhar said that they had assisted the police in locating Butt and he has now been arrested.
Most read in News
It was also revealed that another hospital employee had been suspended for assisting in the operation theatre.
But Lahore police believe this isn’t the first time Butt has been an imposter.
Police spokesperson Ali Safdar said: "Butt had posed as a doctor and made home visits to other patients in the past also."
- Coronavirus pandemic | Security guard accused of infecting Defence Colony residents with COVID-19 tests negative
- Woman dies after shuttling between hospitals
- Saudi Arabia beheads ‘al-Qaeda extremist’ who stabbed three Spanish dancers during a live performance
- Heartwarming moment woman, 36, who gave birth while in a coma due to coronavirus meets her son for the first time 12 days later to rapturous applause from medics
- Indian woman gives birth to twins at age of 73
- Covid-19 positive woman spends 30 hrs in KEM parking lot waiting
- This nurse used to read her children bedtime stories. Now she writes them essays in case she dies
- 18-yr-old maid in Lagos dies without fulfilling university dream
- As death toll mounts at nursing homes, California gets help from the National Guard, adds rules
- Family of Britain's first ever Sikh A&E consultant, 52, tell of devastation after 'selfless pioneer' died of coronavirus - as relatives can't be with grieving wife and children due to lockdown
- Police officer, 36, is left paralysed from the chest down after being kicked in the back while taking a drunk woman into custody - just days before his wife was due to give birth
- Doctor accused of unnecessary surgeries held without bail
- EXCLUSIVE: 'I can't find the finger!' Listen as Johnny Depp's doctor shouts as he combs through trash and blood-spattered debris while Amber Heard sobs violently after 'hurling vodka bottle at actor', as medic races to find severed digit in explosive audio
- Italy calls in military to enforce coronavirus lockdown as 627 people die in 24 hours
- Woman’s Breast Implants Fall Out of Open Wounds in Her Chest After Botched Surgery: ‘I Was So Sick’
- Why aren't ALL hospitals lying coronavirus patients on their front? NHS says placing dying people face down can save lives - but some medics are only using it as 'risky last resort' as one man reveals he had to beg for 'wacky' treatment to save his wife
- Eight-month pregnant nurse Mary, who died of coronavirus but whose baby was saved, lost her father 'to virus' just two weeks ago
- Surgery-obsessed model who injects herself with saline to make her breasts so big she can't buy a bra to fit them is refused a 'matching butt' by surgeons on Botched
- How does the National Guard keep people safe during a pandemic? By cleaning, sewing and packing
- Families of cancer patients pan 'disrespectful' videos of dancing NHS staff while patients are dying due to cancelled operations
Woman dies after ‘security guard pretending to be doctor performs SURGERY on her’ have 760 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at June 8, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.