Despite market difficulties and low prices, the domestic tra fish sector was given a boost when the US Department of Agriculture officially recognised Vietnam's Pangasius Food Safety Control System after more than three years of negotiations.
The recognition was important for the development of the pangasius industry, MARD official Phung Duc Tien said, adding that it proved Vietnam had a system in place that met US market requirements, which were among the strictest in the world.
In order to meet US regulations, the MARD said it had been working closely with stakeholders in Vietnam for three years to develop a system that met the US Farm Bill 2014.
"It will help local pangasius firms to access and expand their export markets, not only in the US but also in other regions," said Nguyen Nhu Tiep, Director of Agro-Forestry-Fisheries Quality Assurance Department at MARD, adding that it would also encourage more enterprises to export pangasius to the US along with the existing 13 export markets.
According to the MARD's statistics, Vietnam has yearly production of 1.3 million tons of pangasius, India 650,000 tons, Bangladesh 450,000 tons, Indonesia 110,000 tons and China 10,000 tons.
The US Department of Commerce lowered anti-dumping duties on frozen pangasius fillets from Vietnam in the 15th period of review (POR15).
Last year, Vietnam exported 550 million USD worth of pangasius to the US, the country's second largest market.
- Aquatic product exports bring home 2.4 billion USD in four months
- Indonesia hopes to draw nearly 64 billion USD investment in energy
- Indonesia’s budget deficit rises to 20.1 billion USD
- China inks import contracts worth 2.5 billion USD with Indonesia
- Vietnam’s rice exports to Philippines up, but farmers aren’t happy
- New market opportunities open up for Vietnam’s rice exports
- Aquatic exports rise by 10 percent in five months
- Vietnam firms advised to invest in Indian garment market
- Vietnam-Cambodia trade-investment promotion forum held
- Fruit, vegetable exports fall 5.8 percent in eight months
- HCM City: Conference spotlights India-Vietnam textile cooperation
- Vietnam among top in footwear production
- Philippines, Ivory Coast emerge as Vietnam’s largest rice export markets
- National Tourism Year 2019 to end with ceremony in Khanh Hoa
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 20
- Agriculture sector posts trade surplus of 3.3 bln USD in five months
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 23
- Vietnam, China have room to grow trade ties: experts
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 21
- VN garment industry eyes $60 billion from exports by 2025
Vietnam’s tra fish exports to reach 2.3 billion USD in 2019 have 383 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at June 30, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.