Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam has proposed the World Health Organization (WHO) accelerate the transfer of vaccine production technology to Vietnam to help the country become a regional vaccine production centre.
|Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam has an online meeting on Thursday with Dr Takeshi Kasa, WHO regional director for the Western Pacific. — VNA/VNS Photo|
Dam, who leads the National Steering Committee on COVID-19 Prevention and Control, had an online meeting yesterday with Dr Takeshi Kasa, WHO regional director for the Western Pacific, to discuss vaccine supply, Vietnam's response to the outbreak and the country's access to vaccines.
Deputy Minister Dam spoke highly of WHO's role in the fight against the pandemic and thanked the organisation for offering assistance to Vietnam over the past one and a half years since the pandemic broke out.
He said the Vietnamese Government has made efforts to accelerate the implementation of its vaccination strategy to achieve herd immunity soon and resume socio-economic activities as well as ensure public health and social security.
He proposed the WHO promote vaccine delivery under the COVAX Facility and transfer of vaccine production technology to Vietnam, aiming to help regional countries soon get access to vaccines.
Dr Kasa said he appreciated Vietnam’s effective COVID-19 response measures, noting that drastic and focused direction from senior leaders along with communications on pandemic prevention and control measures have been effectively implemented with the engagement and strict observation of the entire community.
Vietnam has become a good example in the region for its response to COVID-19, he said.
He spoke highly of Vietnam's precise and effective approach to vaccines. Vietnam has made stable investments in pandemic prevention and control, especially attracting the participation of the private sector and promoting public-private partnerships (PPPs) for technology transfer and vaccine production.
In the context of the pandemic, the WHO regional director for the Western Pacific recommended countries not to loosen preventive and control measures even if the majority of the population have been vaccinated.
He pledged to continue to support and stand with Vietnam in responding to the pandemic.
The representative said he would accelerate the transfer of vaccine supplies under the COVAX mechanism and vaccine production technology to Vietnam.
The two sides agreed to strengthen co-operation and exchange policies and safety regulations on vaccination to maximise the role of the WHO in supporting countries in combating the pandemic.
The WHO Regional Director for the Western Pacific thanked the Vietnamese Government for donating US$500,000 to the COVAX mechanism and successfully treating a WHO expert who contracted COVID-19.
Source: Vietnam News
- A nat’l food production program
- Transport & logistics event set on Aug. 17-19 at SMX
- A Cold War technology designed to make jets fly for days might solve Earth’s looming energy crisis
- All-new Ford RS feature new technologies
- Vietnam a threat to PH banana export industry
- East-West seeds are favorites of Vietnam farmers
- Myanmar, Vietnam step up economic cooperation
- Vietnam, the rising tiger economy
- New technology, new rules of economic development
- Foreign investors call for PEZA zero VAT retention
- Gov’t makes available P1.92 B for dev’t of state-of-the-art health technologies
- Wanted: Proposals for sustainable rice production
- DTI seeks to address supply chain gap in coffee industry
- 19 long-range electric cars you’ll be able to drive by 2021
- Uber has quietly launched its own ‘Uber for trucking’ marketplace called Uber Freight
- Duterte calls for stronger Asean
- Elon Musk just unveiled Tesla’s solar roof and new Tesla Energy products
- Online money transfer service WorldRemit’s revenue jumps to £41 million — and it’s forecasting 50% growth again this year
- Converge ICT to bring pure fiber technology to VisMin
- ‘Mabuhay Germany’ set February 18-19 at BGC
Vietnam calls on WHO to accelerate transfer of COVID-19 vaccine supply and production technology have 605 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at June 18, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.