“Vietnam can totally become a gaming powerhouse by building a strong and sustainable ecosystem,” said Google representative Emily Nguyen at a recent event.
Among 10 top game publishers headquartered in Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Asia, five are based in Vietnam, according to a recent report by data provider App Annie.
“For every 25 downloaded games in the world, one is made by a Vietnamese company,” it said, adding that this ranks Vietnam seventh in the world in terms of downloads.
The CEO of App Annie, Junde Yu, said Vietnam was a fertile ground for mobile games with 68 million people owning smartphones.
Average gaming time on smartphone in Vietnam is 3.9 hours, 10 percent higher than in the U.S., he said
Last year, revenues of the gaming industry hit VND12 trillion, double that of 2015, according to the Vietnam National Innovation Center under the Ministry of Planning and Investment.
“The market has attracted 25,000 employees who serve 32 million players nationwide. These figures show that Vietnam's gaming industry has a lot of future potential,” said Vu Quoc Huy, director of the center.
However, some challenges remain, experts have said. On average, each Vietnamese contributes only VND230 to the gaming industry, while that of a Japanese player is VND350,000 ($15.23), or 154 times higher.
- Gaming on the Go: 2011’s top titles for portable consoles
- System Update: Could the iPhone 6 Plus be the perfect on-the-go gaming machine?
- Vietnam’s demand for rhino horns threatens species, say experts
- Photos show Donald Trump in military uniform, with athletic teams before dodging the Vietnam draft with ‘bull---t’ injury
- Rhinos now extinct in Mozambique: experts
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 6 premiere recap: Don Draper is off his game but back to his old ways
- With Chris Mullin set to coach his first game at St. John’s, a look at other college coaches who returned to their alma maters
- List of potential Democratic presidential candidates for 2016 expands: report
- Jorge Posada says he has 'no idea' why his name appears on potential Roger Clemens witness list
- Toys 'R' Us, once ahead of the retail game, now playing catch-up
- Queens track star Ahtyana Johnson back in running after overcoming potentially fatal blood disorder
- Potential problem with College Football Playoffs isn't committee but system
- As GOP trashes China, Beijing warns of potential war with U.S.
- Monmouth County expert: Jail force was appropriate
- Kevin Durant's late-game heroics encapsulate NBA's new nightmare
- Michigan State tops undefeated Ohio State, 17-14, snaps Buckeyes’ 23-game winning streak
- Experts: Brown's support bodes well for green mandate
- Compliance experts on Louisville case: NCAA appeals process an uphill battle
- Can proposal to run train to downtown Indy for Colts, Pacers games overcome obstacles?
- New York City being mentioned as potential site for 2024 Olympic Games
Vietnam a potential gaming powerhouse: experts have 435 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at June 4, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.