HÀ NỘI — Vietnamese children might be enjoying their early summer holidays, but parents are concerned about the safety of their kids while they go about their daily business.
To solve this problem, the Department of Child Affairs under the Ministry of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs (MoLISA), Research Centre for Management and Sustainable Development (MSD) and Child Rights Governance Network, held an online seminar to teach parents and caregivers how to prevent accidents and injuries as well as respond to any unfortunate situations.
Speaking at the event on Sunday, Nguyễn Trọng An, former deputy director of the Department of Child Affairs, said accidents happen mostly in and around the house, with the most common drowning.
“We often think that the house is a safe environment, but in reality, there are many potential risks," he said.
Tragic accidents could occur if children play with electric plugs, detergents or medicines, he added.
He noted that the role of the family in child protection and building a safe house is extremely important.
“A child-safe house will provide parents with knowledge and ways to detect the risks of accidents for children in the house,” said An.
According to Đặng Hoa Nam, Director General of the Department of Child Affairs, people need to realise the importance of protecting children.
“We always ask the locality not only to offer condolences but to find out why the children drowned in order to have solutions to protect children," he said.
Creating a safe physical environment for children and ensuring a safe environment in the family and community is very important.
Many children die every year from drowning or falling from a height due to adults’ carelessness and ignorance, said Nam.
Children, parents and family members also need to learn safety skills.
Building skills for families to prevent accidents and first aid knowledge is very important, he said, adding that sanctions should be promoted to protect children in families and communities.
“Child protection is not only part of a five-year or 10-year national programme, but it’s the work of every family and each person,” Nam said.
Ensuring the safety of children is not only the responsibility of parents and carers but also the responsibility of the whole community, according to Nguyễn Hải Anh, an expert from MSD.
Every parent must be an example for their children in obeying safety regulations and help them to form good habits, she said.
At the seminar, speakers also shared more about how to prevent drowning accidents among children – the leading cause of death for children in the summer.
Nam said knowing how to swim is important for children to protect themselves.
Children need to learn to swim safely and be equipped with safety skills in the water environment.
The number of children who die by drowning in Việt Nam is 10 times higher than in other developing countries. Drowning claims the lives of more than 2,000 children each year in Việt Nam, according to MoLISA. — VNS
- 'Delusional' parents blasted for failing to protect children from online grooming by This Morning viewers
- Huntley 158 To Host Parent University: Protecting Children From Human Trafficking And Exploitation
- Instagram now asks new users to provide their date of birth when creating an account in a bid to protect children from inappropriate content
- More needs to be done to protect children from dirty air
- One in five children under supervision orders harmed again within five years
- Teacher’s end-of-term report to parents: your behaviour is getting worse
- Flu hits England early: Health chiefs call for parents to get children vaccinated NOW as intensive care admissions are three times higher than last two winters
- How can parents of special kids secure their children’s future?
- Parents warned about sick Peppa Pig 'parody' YouTube videos showing characters being shot and eaten alive
- Junk foods avoid ad ban by targeting children online
- Parents of murdered AJ Freund, 5, ‘made him stand under freezing shower and beat him to death before dumping body and reporting him missing’
- Violence against the world's children is epidemic, report shows
- Bosnia sacks children's home managers after protests over abuse
- The number of children in poverty is rocketing. Who is protecting them?
- Suddenly I’m teaching my child A-levels in the kitchen
- Why you SHOULD discipline other people's children when they misbehave - and what to do and say so their parents aren't offended
- The lady behind the Teach For India phenomenon
- Food, clothes, a mattress and three funerals. What teachers buy for children
- Girls Banned from Wearing Skirts at School ‘to Protect Their Modesty’
- Who Murders Children? Psychology Profiles Child Killers
Seminar teaches parents how to protect children have 783 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at June 14, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.