Health minister Nguyen Thanh Long said last Saturday that Vietnam had detected a new coronavirus variant that was a hybrid of two existing variants: an Alpha variant first detected in the U.K. and a Delta variant first detected in India.
Long said the new variant, which is actually the Delta variant with mutations found on the Alpha variant, has high transmissibility and can spread widely in the air.
Kidong Park, the WHO representative in Vietnam, told Nikkei Asia on Wednesday however that: “There is no new hybrid variant in Vietnam at this moment based on WHO definition.”
“The variant detected is Delta variant, with additional mutations, and needs more observation. We need to monitor during next couple of weeks,” Park was quoted as saying, adding that there has been no alarming alert from the WHO for now.
Vietnam’s latest coronavirus wave since over a month ago has seen 4,877 local Covid-19 cases so far in 37 cities and provinces. Bac Giang still leads the number of coronavirus infections at 2,620, followed by neighbor Bac Ninh at 941.
The country has detected the presence of seven coronavirus variants so far, including the aforementioned Alpha and Delta variant, as well as another variant named Beta which was first detected in South Africa.
The Alpha and Delta variants have been deemed responsible for some of Vietnam’s most recent coronavirus outbreaks due to their higher transmissability than ordinary strains.
- Daily average of new coronavirus cases moving up in Acadiana
- 58 New Coronavirus Deaths In LA County, Hospitalizations Down For Fourth Straight Day
- New coronavirus antibody blood test being used by the US Navy can deliver results in just 15 MINUTES
- New coronavirus test that uses the gene-editing tool CRISPR could offer a simpler way to screen for the virus at HOME, scientists say
- Acadiana daily average dips with fewer new coronavirus cases over two days
- New coronavirus infections accelerate in Germany where the R number has risen above one for the first time since lockdown has been lifted
- Tunisia reports no new coronavirus cases for first time since early March
- China reports 16 new coronavirus cases amid fears of second wave
- New South Wales records zero new coronavirus cases for the first time since the outbreak - as the state prepares to re-open cafes and allow gatherings of 10
- Pa. Health Dept. Announces 938 New Coronavirus Cases, Bringing Statewide Total To 59,636
- New Zealand reports zero new coronavirus cases for the fourth time and the second day in a row as it prepares to ease lockdown tonight
- China reports 17 new coronavirus cases; Wuhan continues mass testing campaign
- Vietnam reports 24 new coronavirus cases, all imported; cases pass 300
- No new coronavirus code of conduct for last 10 days of Ramadan: Ijaz Shah
- Pa. Health Dept. Announces 888 New Coronavirus Cases, Total Number Now 51,845
- Boris Johnson sets surprise new coronavirus testing target of 200,000 a day
- WHO warns of new coronavirus COVID-19 lockdowns if transition not managed carefully
- Facebook’s new Coronavirus Community Hub on Messenger provides tips, resources
- New coronavirus spread swiftly around world from late 2019, study finds
- Genetic mutation study finds new coronavirus spread swiftly in late 2019
No new coronavirus variant in Vietnam yet: WHO have 498 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at June 3, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.