Katori Hall 's comedy-drama play The Hot Wing King , which was given a world premiere by Off Broadway's Signature Theatre Company just before the pandemic shutdown, was awarded the 2021 Pulitzer Prize for Drama today.
Set in Memphis, Tennessee, just in time for the annual "Hot Wang Festival," the play follows two Black gay men and "their culinary clique, The New Wing Order," as they prepare their culinary entry. As described by Signature, "When Dwayne takes in his troubled nephew however, it becomes a recipe for disaster. Suddenly, a first place trophy isn't the only thing Cordell risks losing."
The play premiered at Signature's Alice Griffin Jewel Box Theatre on February 11, 2020.
The Pulitzer board called The Hot Wing King "a funny, deeply felt consideration of Black masculinity and how it is perceived filtered through the experiences of a loving gay couple and their extended family as they prepare for a culinary competition."
The two other finalists for the Drama prize were Circle Jerk by Michael Breslin and Patrick Foley, and Stew by Zora Howard
Watch on Deadline
With Broadway theaters and other stages shuttered by the coronavirus pandemic for the last 15 months, the Pulitzer Prize board amended its rules for drama prize eligibility to include online productions and shows that were postponed or canceled due to the Covid shutdown.
"The spread of the Covid virus has closed theaters but has in no way dampened the creativity of the nation's playwrights," said Pulitzer co-chairs Stephen Engelberg and Aminda Marqués Gonzalez in a joint statement last September. "In this year, of all years, we wanted to honor the work that is being done. The shows are going on, even if the audience is remote."
- 'Angels in America' Review: Nathan Lane, Andrew Garfield Star in Revival of a Drama Whose Time Has Come—Again
- We're the 2020 frontrunners and we love it say Trump's re-election campaign as they reveal plans to paint Democrat who wins nomination as a 'socialist'
- Racing review: Hotpots and Howlers from another week in the sport of kings
- How Roger Ailes Built the Fox News Fear Factory
- Oscars 2014 live: the ceremony
- Bull Market for Business Journalists Prompts Defections at Journal / Tech writers lured by higher salaries, stock options
- Pretty as a peacock! Paris Jackson dazzles GLAAD Media Awards in gossamer caped gown
- Hamilton wows West End audiences after Broadway transfer
- Hamilton the musical to transfer to the West End
- Mueller, Barr, Giuliani, Comey and Kallstrom Once Fought Terror Together—Now Trump Has Them Fight Each Other
- Seven Films and Shows to Watch This Weekend on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu
- Transamerica Pyramid a controversial building
- Playwright Aleshea Harris’ fierce struggle with American racism
- Theater in L.A. this week: ‘Frozen,’ ‘A Christmas Carol’ and more
- Kucherov, Vasilevskiy lead NHL-best Lightning past Oilers
- American Music Awards 2019: Selena Gomez, the brunette bombshell, shines bright in neon strapless frock as she leads best dressed stars on red carpet
- Sky Views: What I've learned about Boris Johnson since we first met 30 years ago
- Bobby Fischer
- Integrity Initiative: The Sinister Chain of Events Leading Up to Salisbury
Katori Hall’s ‘The Hot Wing King’ Wins 2021 Pulitzer Prize For Drama have 513 words, post on deadline.com at June 11, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.