Health Ministry in talks to produce Cuba's Covid-19 vaccine
The Saigon Times
|A meeting of the Vietnamese Ministry of Health, the Cuban Ministry of Public Health and other agencies on Covid-19 vaccine supply and production technology – PHOTO: VNA|
HCMC – The Vietnamese Ministry of Health on June 16 worked with the Cuban Ministry of Public Health and other Cuban agencies on the supply of Cuba's Covid-19 vaccine, called Abdala, and the transfer of the vaccine production technology.
A representative of the Cuban side said the vaccine had undergone three phases of clinical trials. It was tested on 123 people in the first phase, 660 people in the second phase and 48,000 people in the third phase. The trial proved that the vaccine could prevent coronavirus variants, including those from South Africa and Brazil, the local media reported.
Cuban Minister of Public Health José Angel Portal Miranda said Cuba could produce 100 million Abdala doses but needs only 30 million doses per year. Therefore, Cuba is willing to transfer the vaccine production technology to Vietnam and build two more factories.
According to the Vietnamese Ministry of Health, Abdala is produced using technology similar to that used in the research and production of Vietnam's Nano Covax Covid-19 vaccine.
The ministry has conducted hundreds of negotiations to buy Covid-19 vaccines but the results remain modest. Vietnam has received nearly four million Covid-19 vaccine doses, well below the local demand.
People need to take three Abdala injections 14 days apart. The vaccine must be stored at two to eight degrees Celsius and has only been used in Cuba.
Vietnam is also conducting human trials for two Covid-19 vaccines.
- Fears Ebola will spread from the Democratic Republic of Congo grow as health workers in South Sudan are being given jabs to protect against the killer virus
- How we made world’s first snake vaccine in Nigeria — Prof Aguiyi
- Bird flu kills teenager in Egypt: Woman, 19, is killed by H5N1 strain after coming into contact with infected birds
- Dengue vaccine fiasco leads to criminal charges for researcher in the Philippines
- Stop experimenting with our people’s health
- Samoa measles outbreak: Another death but vaccinations make an impact
- Samoa measles outbreak: Nearly 100 per cent of the population vaccinated
- Producer hopes Indian government uses Oscar winner 'Period. End of Sentence' to educate masses
- 'Have you forgotten what you said two minutes ago?' Julian Castro, 44, astonishes Democrats by hinting that Joe Biden, 76, is struggling with his memory as they clash on health care
- Larry King's estranged wife Shawn, 59, 'says she won't fight the dying 85-year-old's divorce wish and believes their fallout after his April heart attack sparked the talk show host's decision to end their 22-year marriage'
- Slovaks in their mid-30s are not immune to measles
- Italy's Five Star Movement blamed for surge in measles cases
- DR ELLIE CANNON: Don't come to see me if you get flu... even if you're feeling as sick as a dog
- Measles return to Slovakia after 20 years
- Vietnam culls 2 million pigs as African swine fever threatens large-scale farms
- 10 things to know about sleep as the clocks change
- Can these spaces help kids be more creative?
- Have our kids gotten soft? Five ways to teach them grit
- Government allows 50% hike in prices of 21 widely used pharma items
- Samoa measles death toll rises to 73
Health Ministry in talks to produce Cuba’s Covid-19 vaccine have 533 words, post on english.thesaigontimes.vn at June 17, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.