HÀ NỘI — Half a million doses of the Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine donated by China are set to arrive in Việt Nam today.
The vaccine, with the product name Vero Cell, will be given to Chinese nationals living in Việt Nam, Vietnamese people who intend to go to work or study in China and residents in the border region with China, according to the health ministry.
The move tracks with China's visa facilitation and its vaccine passports which so far only accept Chinese-made COVID-19 vaccines.
The Vietnamese health ministry on June 3 granted conditional approval of Sinopharm vaccine for use in the emergency outbreak situation, in addition to the Oxford/AstraZeneca, Russia's Sputnik V, and the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines.
The Sinopharm vaccine can be kept at normal fridge temperatures (2-8 degrees Celsius) with a shelf life of up to 24 months, making it easy to store and transport.
In the announcement listing Vero Cell for emergency use to allow the vaccine to be used as part of the COVAX initiative, WHO noted the vaccine’s efficacy for symptomatic and hospitalised patients is estimated to be 79 per cent, across all age groups, and recommended the Chinese vaccine for people 18 years and older, in a two-dose schedule with a spacing of three to four weeks.
Sinopharm set up a representative office in Việt Nam in 1993. The company supplies 85 per cent of the vaccines used in the National Expanded Programme on Immunisation in China.
The vaccines used in Việt Nam's inoculation campaign have been mainly AstraZeneca, including 2.4 million doses from COVAX, 405,600 doses delivered from the manufacturer via the Việt Nam Vaccine Company, and about 1 million doses donated by the Japanese government.
According to the latest report from the health ministry, 2,359,376 vaccine doses have been administered in Việt Nam as of 4pm Saturday, with 115,315 people receiving the full two doses. — VNS
- Viet Nam remains at high risk of COVID-19 infections: health minister
- Fears for future of special needs school in central Việt Nam
- Việt Nam set to create value in global supply chains, CEOs tell forum
- US - Việt Nam trade grows strong over 25 years
- Việt Nam cherishes relations with Cambodia, seeks to foster cooperation across all fields: Foreign ministry
- US wants to promote comprehensive partnership with Việt Nam: US security advisor
- Expert, official praise Việt Nam's performance as ASEAN Chair
- Ping An Academy of Financial Security helps set up Financial Industry Security Research Center in collaboration with other institutions
- APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting set vision for 2040
- China's state pharmaceutical firm claims it has given experimental coronavirus vaccine to nearly one million people in emergency use
- Peru secures 23.1 million future coronavirus vaccine doses from Pfizer, COVAX
- Matt Hancock says Britain is 'working closely' with Pfizer to roll out the firm's breakthrough Covid-19 vaccine as soon as December 1
- The Hill's 12:30 Report - Presented by Capital One - Pfizer, BioNTech apply for vaccine authorization
- Second COVID breakthrough as Moderna says its vaccine is 94.5% effective - making it better than Pfizer's - as shares go through the roof and America now looks set to have enough shots for EVERYONE next year
- Is December 9 the day Britain starts its Covid vaccination drive? Nottingham health chiefs say NHS-Army operation will 'go live' in a fortnight if a jab is approved – even though ministers wanted it ready from December 1
- Moderna Covid vaccine ‘nearly 95% effective’ and may be given out in WEEKS as Trump hails big ‘discovery on MY watch’
- AstraZeneca manufacturing error clouds coronavirus vaccine study results
- PM Modi to visit Serum Institute in Pune to take stock of Covishield vaccine development
- Why China's vaccines are gaining international momentum
- Vaccine trials should NOT be stopped even in the event of death, scientists say as Brazilian doctor, 28, dies from Covid-19 after getting placebo dose in Oxford University's study
China-donated 500,000 doses of Sinopharm vaccine set to arrive in Việt Nam today have 634 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at June 20, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.