VĨNH LONG — Meritorious Artist and cải lương star Vũ Linh and young talent Võ Minh Lâm will perform in a TV programme about Vietnamese theatre on Vĩnh Long Television's THLV1 channel next week.
The artists will stage the new show Sao Nối Ngôi (Bright Stars) with performances of vọng cổ (nostalgic tunes), cải lương and tuồng or hát bội (classical drama), traditional theatre genres from the southern and central regions.
Veteran actor Linh will perform vọng cổ songs and extracts from historical plays which made him famous in the 1980s and 1990s. He will appear with his younger colleague, actor Lâm, in tuồng performances.
"I'm getting older and have a serious illness. It is hard for me, even as an experienced artist, to keep going for a TV show with sound and light effects," said the 62-year-old.
"I will try my best to bring the original tunes of traditional theatre to audiences."
Linh began his professional career at the Đồng Ấu Hoa Troupe in Sài Gòn (now HCM City) in 1972. With his strong voice and rapid improvement in performance skills, he soon became a bright star in cải lương.
In 1988, he worked for Trần Hữu Trang Cải Lương Theatre, one of the region's leading traditional art troupes. He has performed for several cải lương troupes in HCM City and southern provinces.
He won 16 top prizes at national theatre festivals and contests, including the Trần Hữu Trang Golden Prize for Best Actor, the theatre’s biggest honour conferred by the HCM City Theatre Association.
He has performed in 400 videos and TV shows.
"Performing in Sao Nối Ngôi is a chance for me to improve my art from older artists, who have devoted all their love and energy to the stage," said Lâm, winner of Chuông Vàng (Golden Bell) in 2006, a national c ả i lương singing contest organised annually by HCM City Television.
Lâm, 29, has played leading roles in 12 dramas.
Since its release in 2016, the TV programme Sao Nối Ngôi has become one of the hottest entertainment shows on Vĩnh Long Television.
It has attracted millions of people in HCM City and the Cửu Long (Mekong) River Delta region back to Vietnamese theatre and has offered many shows staged by veteran and young actors.
The producer, Vĩnh Long Television, plans to work with radio and TV stations in the region, including Hồ Chí Minh City Television, to offer new shows on historical topics for children and young audiences.
"Our programe, Sao Nối Ngôi , targets youth. We want to encourage audiences to learn more about Vietnamese history and culture through theatre," said theatre director Châu Ngọc Ấn of Vĩnh Long Television.
"Many young people have sent letters and comments about our show's quality."
The show featuring cải lương stars Linh and Lâm will air at 9pm on June 22 on the THLV1 channel. — VNS
- 'Let me just find my socks and my shoes... and my trousers': Prince William jokes with Stephen Fry's Lord Melchett in hilarious Blackadder sketch as stars perform from their homes during £27million Big Night In fundraiser
- BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Why it's all fights on the night for Gangs Of London star Sope Dirisu
- American Idol: Just Sam wins season 18 during remote finale featuring performance by Katy Perry
- Red Nose Day: Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani perform as Mandy Moore co-hosts as Julia Roberts, The Rock and more support from home
- Succession's Brian Cox plants big kiss on screen son Kieran Culkin as he wins Best Actor... before HBO show scores top TV honor at Golden Globes
- Nominations announced for the 2013 BAFTA TV Awards
- Her heart goes on! Celine Dion fights back tears as she gives emotional performance at Billboard Awards to celebrate 20th anniversary of Titanic
- Selena Gomez goes braless in a slinky black gown with revealing slit as she performs at Victoria's Secret show
- Reese Witherspoon performs aerobic routine and a high kick as she reveals excitement for the next episode of Little Fires Everywhere
- What would Lady Mary say? Downton Abbey's Michelle Dockery reveals she performed in a grunge-metal band and resembled Alanis Morissette with her 'Doc Martens and dark eye make-up'
- X Factor: Celebrity star Jeremy Edwards likes tweet saying show is 'worst TV ever'
- Katie Price joins Clap for Carers salute as her son Harvey performs rendition of We Are The Champions on the keyboard amid Britain's ongoing lockdown
- 'British theatre is on the brink of total collapse': West End producer Sonia Friedman warns the performing arts industry could be ruined by the coronavirus crisis
- The Voice 2020 contestants are revealed - including a drag queen, a tradie, a TikTok star and a BROTHER of one of the judges
- Australia's biggest stars including Delta Goodrem, Jimmy Barnes and The Wiggles will perform at an Anzac Day concert in support of frontline workers during the coronavirus pandemic
- Normal People's Paul Mescal channels his inner Pavarotti in unearthed clip revealed on The Graham Norton Show alongside co-star Daisy Edgar-Jones
- 13 Reasons Why star Dylan Minnette to perform at Splendour in the Grass 2020 with his band Wallows
- Doc Martin star Martin Clunes was completely UNRECOGNISABLE at start of his career - see photos
- American Idol: Amber Fiedler wows the judges with an impressive performance... while being 38 weeks pregnant
- 'Sleeping cutie!' Chloe Lattanzi puts on an eye-popping display as she flaunts her cleavage... after revealing her new TV project with father Matt Lattanzi
Cải lương stars perform in TV show have 1035 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at June 19, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.