REUTERS: Sadiq Khan has said he will look to bring the Olympic and Paralympic Games back to London within 20 years if he is re-elected as the London mayor on Thursday.
The Labour candidate said he will work with “leading figures from sport, government, business and communities” to set up a committee into a London bid for the 2036 or 2040 Games, as part of his campaign.
The 2012 Olympic Games were centred around the Olympic Park in East London.
“Exploring a bid for the 2036 or 2040 Olympic and Paralympic Games is the ultimate demonstration of my plan to build a brighter future for London after the pandemic,” Khan said ahead of a visit to Earlsfield Amateur Boxing Club in Wandsworth.
“By ensuring the Games are staged across the UK, and visitors encouraged and supported to explore every corner of our country, London 2036 or 2040 could be a huge boost to levelling up our cities and regions.”
Khan has been the London mayor since 2016.
(Reporting by Manasi Pathak in Bengaluru; Editing by Michael Perry)
- How Sadiq Khan's war on motorists is sabotaging London's recovery: Fury as mayor brings city to a halt by closing roads, making more cycle lanes and hiking congestion fee to £15... thwarting drive to get staff back to offices
- Battle at the ballotbox: How Labour, Tories and Lib Dems could fare on local elections day
- Column: Olympic athletes ponder what might’ve been in Tokyo
- Sadiq Khan: 'We've always had terrorism. It doesn't make us blasé, but it does make us resilient'
- London Congestion Charge 'Lawfully Discriminates' Against Ethnic Minorities
- David Lammy fined over mayoral bid nuisance calls
- London Mayor Sadiq Khan Calls for More Diversity in Statues
- Londoners overwhelmingly back Sadiq Khan’s air pollution crackdown
- Sadiq Khan admits for first time that staff working from home is a 'BIG PROBLEM for central London'... after months of warning people to stay off Tubes
- Met's deputy police chief says Black Lives Matters protests are 'UNLAWFUL' as London mayor Sadiq Khan says he won't go because they break social distancing rules
- London's air pollution from diesel cars is 23% worse outside the ultra-low emissions zone as experts call for the ULEZ to cover more of the capital
- 'It's the worst I've ever seen': London’s West End struggles to bounce back
- Soho remains a no-go: Fears for future of London's 'beating heart' as Covid keeps offices shut while restaurateur Jeremy King slams Sadiq Khan over 'damaging' congestion charge extension
- Silvertown road tunnel plan in London fatally flawed, say opponents
- The Queen thanks heroes who 'fought so valiantly' to bring WWII to an end on VJ Day 75th anniversary of as Boris Johnson, Charles and Camilla attend remembrance service at the National Memorial Arboretum
- AP WAS THERE: 2012 London Olympics - Bolt defends 100 gold
- Brazil looks to transform sporting greatness into gold on world stage
- Gary Lineker WILL welcome migrants into his £4m luxury London townhouse after being called out by Tory MP... and challenges politician to 'offer his own house to the homeless'
- Tokyo Olympics 2020 delay could help 10,000m title defence, says Mo Farah
- Olympic ice hockey and the NHL: the good, the bad and the ugly
Olympics-Khan looks to bring back Olympics to London if re-elected as mayor have 502 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at May 4, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.