|People take part in a protest against the hosting of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games in front of the National Stadium in Tokyo on May 9, 2021.(Philip FONG / AFP)|
Bach’s trip had been scheduled for May 17-18 but organisers “decided to postpone it based on various situations including the extension of a virus state of emergency” by the Japanese government.
The Japanese government and Olympic officials insist the virus-postponed Games can go ahead safely this summer, although polls show most Japanese people support cancellation or another delay.
Japanese media reports said the organisers plan to reschedule Bach’s visit for June.
Japan’s state of emergency, which is less strict than blanket lockdowns in other countries, has been extended to the end of May in the hardest hit regions, including Tokyo.
Seiko Hashimoto, president of the Tokyo 2020 Games, said Friday it would be “very difficult” to arrange the visit given the state of emergency.
Japan’s Covid-19 outbreak remains much smaller than in many countries, with around 10,800 deaths.
But its vaccine rollout is moving slowly and some areas have seen record cases as more infectious variants drive fresh waves of contagion.
Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga was forced on the defensive on Monday, insisting in parliament he has “never put the Olympics first” and that his priority remains “the lives and health of the Japanese people”.
- Tokyo 2020: Olympic torch relay wraps up in Chiba off-road due to COVID-19 restrictions
- Olympic official sees coronavirus as 'most serious' threat Games have faced
- Japan says US travel warning for virus won't hurt Olympians
- Japan sees no Tokyo Olympics impact from US travel advice
- 'No country is immune': How nations around the world are reacting to coronavirus
- Three more Australians have coronavirus after returning from Iran as hospitals brace for influx
- The Latest: Israel brings back mask rules as variant spreads
- The Latest: Spain, Portugal further restrict UK travelers
- Delta variant exploits low vaccine rates, easing of rules
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES JULY 3
Olympic chief's Japan visit postponed over virus have 318 words, post on vir.com.vn at May 10, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.