Former House Speaker reacts to Minnesota unrest on ‘Hannity’, warns against taking resources away from law enforcement
We are now in a crisis of American civilization fully as dangerous and real as the crisis of the U.S. Civil War or World War II .
During both those crises, if America had lost, it would have ceased to be America – and the cause of freedom around the world would have been dramatically weakened.
Today, we face combined internal and external threats that are as great or greater.
Internationally, we face a surging China whose economic, scientific and technological power is now fully competitive with the United States. The recent aggressiveness in the South China Sea, against Taiwan, and in domestic repression (including concentration camps and genocide against the Uyghurs, crushing Tibetan Buddhist culture, and repressing the freedom movement in Hong Kong) are all signs of the Chinese Communist Party's self-confidence.
The announcement of a joint China-Russia moon project is an example of the collective authoritarian challenge to the American-led freedom coalition. Russia's movement of military forces around the border of Ukraine is another signal of the potential aggressiveness of the authoritarian states.
However dangerous the foreign challenges are they fade away when compared with the domestic threats to American civilization.
Consider these indicators that our civilization is beginning to fall apart.
- Janice Dean: Cuomo, COVID and the anniversary of my mother-in-law’s death – why this week was so hard
- Ariz. AG Mark Brnovich: Supreme Court vs. cancel culture – here’s how justices can strike a blow for liberty It's important the court defend against California's overreach
- Tucker Carlson: Official Washington wanted US to stay in Afghanistan, so they lied to ensure we would
Several days of looting and rioting in Minnesota have occurred even as a trial of a former policeman is underway proving the rule of law works.
A policeman is killed during a car stop in New Mexico, and our elites ignore the murder. In fact, Mayor Mike Elliott of Brooklyn Center, Minneapolis, said in the middle of the rioting: “I don't believe that officers need to necessarily have weapons, you know, every time they – they're – they're making traffic stop or engaged in situations that don't necessarily call for weapons.”
There is a war on police underway with 264 killed in 2020, a jump of 96% over the previous year. In New York City, hostile forces use Molotov cocktails to set police cars on fire. Murder rates are skyrocketing around the country with 2020 the biggest one-year jump in homicides in American history – 36.7%.
Faced with aggressive criminal behavior and violence against innocent people – including young children being killed – Democratic Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib calls for “no more policing, incarceration and militarization.” Ironically, Rep. Tlaib represents Detroit. According to the Detroit's 2020 crime report, there were 327 homicides in 2020, up from 275 the previous year – a 19% increase. There were 1,173 non-fatal shootings in 2020. This is up from 767 the previous year, which is a 53% increase.
The threat to American civilization goes far beyond violence in the streets.
In Seattle, Portland and Milwaukee, no-go zones similar to those in France have been created that are effectively localized secessions from the United States.
Portland continues to be attacked nightly by anarchists. Despite pious statements by public officials, no effective action is underway to restore law and order.
In San Francisco, the declaration by the communist district attorney that theft under $900 will not be prosecuted has led to so much shoplifting that Walgreens is closing all 10 of its drugstores in the city.
The threat to American civilization goes far beyond violence in the streets.
Woke CEOs who refuse to condemn genocide and police state tyranny in China are quick to attack Georgia – even though President Joe Biden was just plain wrong (perhaps lying) about the state's new election law. Moving the All-Star Game from Georgia to Colorado hurts Black small businesses (there are eight times as many employees of Black-owned businesses in Georgia than in Colorado). Furthermore, Colorado's current voting laws are stricter than Georgia's new ones. For the woke, it is virtue signaling – not fact – that matters.
The television establishment systematically lied to defeat President Donald Trump in the 2020 election. CNN's Charlie Chester recently asserted: “I came to CNN to be a part of that. Look what we did, we [CNN] got Trump out. I am 100% going to say it, and I 100% believe that if it wasn't for CNN, I don't know that Trump would have got voted out…I came to CNN because I wanted to be a part of that.”
Of course, The New York Times, The Washington Post, MSNBC, NBC, CBS and ABC would dispute any CNN claim that it alone defeated Trump. The two papers won Pulitzer Prizes for lying about Trump.
Traditional media hostility and dishonesty are overshadowed by the internet giants, who are increasingly acting like Russian oligarchs. They are trying to erase a leader who was supported by more than 75 million Americans with a ruthlessness worthy of Soviet tyranny and the Chinese Communist Party.
Crony capitalism is becoming bolder as big government and big business reinforce each other at the country's expense.
Overt racism through race-based reparations, school quotas, and anti-white and anti-male curricula are a return to government-fueled discrimination and segregation.
Finally, when the state of California is considering requiring students to chant every day to an Aztec god who was the center of a human sacrifice cult, there are sound reasons to believe American civilization is in crisis.
If we are going to remain America, we must oppose the forces trying to destroy us.
To read, hear, and watch more commentary from Newt, visit Gingrich360.com .
- Newt Gingrich: Here's why Pelosi's blowout could lead to a blowout election
- Newt Gingrich: Democrats prove they are the 'Lion King' Party now – Here's what I mean by that
- Newt Gingrich: Eisenhower being deservedly honored as one of history’s great leaders
- Newt Gingrich: Search for coronavirus vaccine is making important progress
- Newt Gingrich: Trump's Contract with America – 50 promises from candidate who delivers
- America's Fight: Civilization Versus Anarchy | Opinion
- Special Report: Civil rights icon defied death. Now he and his wife navigate pandemic, protests
- Strain and Ponnuru: Live from the Republican National Convention — an identity crisis
- David Bossie: Hidin’ Biden forced to emerge for minimal campaigning, gets only softball media questions
- Rebecca Grant: World War II ended exactly 75 years ago — here’s what it can teach us about war on coronavirus
- Judith Miller: Democrats and Republicans spread fear, warn of disaster if opposing party wins White House
- Trump has an uncanny ability to control the narrative. Here's the message Democrats need to hammer home
- Liz Peek: Trump and dropping poll numbers force Hidin' Biden to do this
- Victor Davis Hanson: Violent rioters and anarchists – here's what they want
- Brandon Judd: Safety vs. lawlessness – here's why law enforcement supports Trump
- Michael Goodwin: Biden, Democrats running scared – here's the issue they got wrong
- Trump, Republicans attack Biden amid coronavirus crisis, street protests
- Trump plans attack on Biden as U.S. faces coronavirus crisis and protests
- Hurricanes, fires, floods and locusts: Science says climate change is here but the RNC refuses to believe
- DAVID DAVIS: Our clumsy quarantine system is destroying livelihoods and making the UK a laughing stock... and it's based on science as reliable as a weathervane in a whirlwind
Newt Gingrich: Crisis of American civilization – here's what we must do to oppose forces trying to destroy US have 1328 words, post on www.foxnews.com at April 18, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.