The Indian government has been accused of releasing false numbers and information about the growing COVID-19 death rate as the country struggles to combat the crisis
The COVID-19 death toll in India has surpassed 200,000 as the country experiences a public health crisis due to recent surges in new cases.
As of Wednesday morning, India’s Ministry of Health reports 201,187 deaths in the country. Additionally, the Associated Press reported that India — which is the second-most populated country in the world — continues to set daily records of new COVID infections, most recently with 362,757 new cases in the past 24 hours.
In the United States, the death toll topped 200,000 back in September. Per data compiled by The New York Times, as of Wednesday morning, there have been a total of 573,001 people who died due to COVID in America. Brazil and Mexico have also surpassed the 200,000 mark.
Globally, 3,129,700 deaths have been recorded, according to the Times .
Citizens in India are holding the government accountable for reopening the country prematurely, following a dramatic decline in case numbers during the winter. Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared “victory” over COVID in January. The government has since been accused of releasing false numbers and information about the growing death rate.
Experts say the actual number of COVID cases could be 30 times higher than what’s been reported, according to CNN.
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE ‘s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
Hospitals, graveyards and crematoriums have become overwhelmed with new cases and deaths in heavily populated areas of India. As life-saving oxygen is in short supply, some patients have died in the streets while searching for a hospital. Meanwhile, crematoriums have had to increase their funeral pyres . In the city of Bhopal, some have had to increase their capacity from 12 pyres to 50, according to the Washington Post .
President Joe Biden announced Sunday that the U.S. will join several European countries in sending aid to India. The U.S. will provide financial assistance and raw materials for vaccines.
“Just as India sent assistance to the United States as our hospitals were strained early in the pandemic, we are determined to help India in its time of need,” Biden wrote Sunday on Twitter.
As information about the coronavirus pandemic rapidly changes, PEOPLE is committed to providing the most recent data in our coverage. Some of the information in this story may have changed after publication. For the latest on COVID-19, readers are encouraged to use online resources from the CDC , WHO and local public health departments . PEOPLE has partnered with GoFundMe to raise money for the COVID-19 Relief Fund, a GoFundMe.org fundraiser to support everything from frontline responders to families in need, as well as organizations helping communities. For more information or to donate, click here .
- Africa's COVID-19 death toll surpasses 3,200 as total cases exceed 107,000
- UK Covid-19 death toll tops 47,000 as pressure heaps on PM Johnson
- Moscow more than doubles city's Covid-19 death toll
- Azar lays part of blame for Covid-19 death toll on state of Americans' health
- India’s COVID-19 death toll rises to 3,303 as total cases reach 106,750
- US COVID-19 Death Toll Could Nearly Quadruple by Year’s End - Study
- Health officials: State COVID-19 death toll may be higher
- Covid-19 death toll rises to 5 in Kerala, 24 new cases reported
- Coronavirus: Donald Trump responds to golf pictures as US COVID-19 death toll rises
- US COVID-19 Death Toll Count Tops 100,000 - Johns Hopkins
- COVID-19 death toll rises to 826, case tally at 26,917; 5,913 cured
- UK COVID-19 death toll tops 47,000 as pressure heaps on PM Johnson
- US COVID-19 death toll crosses 1 lakh; global confirmed cases stand at 5,936,145
- Russia Records Highest COVID-19 Death Toll in a Day
- UK COVID-19 death toll nears 43,000 as scrutiny over strategy grows
- Delhi’s Covid-19 death toll jumps to 82 in last 34 hours
- US COVID-19 death toll tops 100,000
- UK COVID-19 death toll rises 282 to 36,675
- India surpasses China's COVID-19 death toll
- India's COVID-19 death toll rises to 3,303 as total cases reach 106,750
India's COVID-19 Death Toll Surpasses 200,000 People as Other Countries Send Help have 740 words, post on people.com at April 28, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.