A legal group started by former Trump aide Stephen Miller Stephen Miller Ex-Trump aide sues Biden administration, alleging discrimination against white farmers Texas, Stephen Miller sue to force deportation of children, other migrants due to pandemic GOP believes Democrats handing them winning 2022 campaign MORE filed a class-action lawsuit on Monday on behalf of Texas's agricultural commissioner and others arguing that the Biden administration's funds reserved for "socially disadvantaged farmers and ranchers" discriminate against white people.
The complaint from America First Legal (AFL) specifically takes issue with a proposal enacted by Congress as part of President Biden's American Rescue Plan. The suit argues that through the program, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is "actively and invidiously discriminating against American citizens solely based upon their race."
"The United States Department of Agriculture administers numerous statutes that provide government aid to 'socially disadvantaged farmers and ranchers,'" the group said in the complaint.
"The Department of Agriculture interprets this phrase to include African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, Alaskan natives, Asian-Americans, and Pacific Islanders," the lawsuit noted. "But white farmers and ranchers are not included within the definition of 'socially disadvantaged farmers and ranchers,' making them ineligible for aid under these federal programs."
"These racial exclusions are patently unconstitutional, and the Court should permanently enjoin their enforcement," AFL argued. "Doing so will promote equal rights under the law for all American citizens and promote efforts to stop racial discrimination."
The lawsuit's lead plaintiff is Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller, though AFL said he is acting in his personal capacity as a private citizen rather than on behalf of the state.
In a statement announcing the lawsuit, Miller cited words from the late Martin Luther King, Jr., writing, " Americans 'should not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.'"
"MLK's vision is fundamental to our democracy, in which all citizens are equal both in front of the law and in the eyes of their Creator," former President Trump Donald Trump Former NY attorney general Schneiderman loses law license for a year over abuse ‘Biden boom’ extends to stock market surge in first 100 days OVERNIGHT ENERGY: Haaland reverses Trump effort on tribal land | Senate confirms Janet McCabe as deputy EPA chief | Study finds quick action on methane could significantly cut into global warming MORE 's senior adviser said. "For this reason, AFL is filing a lawsuit today against the Biden Administration to prevent it from administering programs created under the American Rescue Plan Act that discriminate against American farmers and ranchers based upon the basis of race."
Miller also cited Chief Justice John Roberts in a 2007 ruling in which he wrote, "The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race."
The Hill has reached out to USDA for comment on the lawsuit.
The lawsuit comes less than a week after Miller and AFL filed a legal challenge to Biden's immigration policies, specifically holding child migrants and some families at border facilities while relying on the Trump-era “Title 42” rule to quickly deport a majority.
The suit, which was filed on behalf of the state of Texas just weeks after Miller announced the launch of AFL , argued that the Biden administration's "abandonment of their authority" under the law means "more Texans will be exposed to Covid-19, more Texans will contract Covid-19, more Texans will die of Covid-19 and Texas will incur significant costs in terms of health care and law enforcement resources."
- Ex-Trump adviser Steve Bannon pleads not guilty to ‘funneling $1M from border wall fund’ after arrest on superyacht
- Donald Trump crows that 'corrupt' FBI lawyer who altered CIA email used to get warrant to spy on Trump aide is pleading guilty in deal with AG Bill Barr's probe into Russia collusion investigators
- GOP group launches new ad featuring ex-Trump DHS official endorsing Biden
- Private prison industry backs Trump, prepares if Biden wins
- Ex-Trump official says U.S. 'less secure' due to president's actions, endorses Biden
- Kirstjen Nielsen’s Former DHS Allies Form Anti-Trump Group with Current Administration Officials
- Ex-Trump Official Hope Hicks Appears to Have Lied to Congress about Her Involvement in Stormy Daniels Hush Money Payments
- Spotlight: Trump supporters warn of tax cut reversals in Biden administration
- Pro-Trump Cartoonist Sues ADL for $10 Million for Calling Him Anti-Semitic
- Former Trump aide Steve Bannon 'summoned' in Russia probe
- Ex-Trump Adviser Steve Bannon Arrested, Charged With Fraud Over 'Build the Wall' Campaign
- Kellyanne Conway, One Of Trump’s Closest Advisors, Is Leaving The White House
- GOP Says It's Trump... or a Marxist Hellscape
- Trump 'failure' on COVID-19 will be central message of Biden convention
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump, GOP distort on health care, vote fraud
- Donald Trump latest news: President to seek THIRD term in office because 2016 campaign was ‘spied on’ by Democrats
- 'Where was Maryanne at her brother's funeral?' Republicans go on offensive after Trump's sister, 83, called Donald a 'cruel brat who doesn't read' in secret recording - as aides say it's just 'sibling rivalry' and claim President is always reading
- Ex-White House aide who sued Trump overseeing speechwriting for convention
- The Hill's Morning Report - Obama paints Trump as incapable leader; Harris accepts VP nod
- Stakes high for Supreme Court as Trump battles for reelection
Ex-Trump aide sues Biden administration, alleging discrimination against white farmers have 938 words, post on thehill.com at April 27, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.