#Us CongressFarmer protest could present a challenge for Biden administration: US Congress report
#Us CongressUS Congress gears up to counter Chinese influence
#Us CongressAllow peaceful protest by farmers says US Congress's India panel
#Us CongressReview acquittal in Pearl murder cases: US Congress members urge Pakistan
#Us CongressIn a sting to China, US Congress says only Tibetans have right to choose successor to Dalai Lama
#Us CongressHas Congress outsourced task of defeating BJP to state parties: Sharmishtha slams Chidambaram
- Movies Anniyan Remake Controversy: Director Shankar Reacts To Aascar Ravichandran’s Allegations
- Sports Srihari takes gold with personal best, narrowly misses Olympic ‘A’ cut
- Finance Ola Money: How to use it?
- Education NEET PG 2021 Exam Postponed Amid Surge In Covid Cases
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Goa In April
- Automobiles Top 10 Best-Selling Cars In India For March 2021: Only Two Manufacturers Dominate The List
- Technology Amazon Guess The Cricketer Quiz Answers: Win Free Fitbit Smartwatch
- Lifestyle Nora Fatehi And Nushrat Bharucha's Stylish High Ponytails Are The Cutest Hairstyles To Rock With Mini Dresses
Washington, Apr 15 : A US Congressman has introduced a resolution in the House of Representatives to recognise the significance of Baisakhi and those who celebrate it. “This resolution recognises the historic, cultural, and religious significance of the festival of Baisakhi,” Congressman John Garamendi said on the House floor as he re-introduced the resolution.
Also known as ‘Vaisakhi’, Baisakhi is a spring season harvest festival for Sikhs, Hindus and Buddhists. It also marks the Sikh new year and commemorates the formation of ‘khalsa panth’ (saint-warriors) under Guru Gobind Singh in 1699, Garamendi said.
The Congressman from California is co-chair of the Sikh Caucus in the House. "Madam Speaker, I encourage all Members of the House to join me in recognising the significance of Baisakhi and those who celebrate it," Garamendi said. In the United States, Baisakhi is celebrated with large processions, celebrations, and community service. Baisakhi celebrates community, prosperity, and continued progress in the year ahead, he said.
"As our country emerges from the COVID-19 pandemic, it is critical that we celebrate the strength of our communities and the sacrifice it will take to defeat the coronavirus and look toward the future," the lawmaker said. April 13, he said, marks the start of the beginning of the Sikh religion and the start of the Punjabi New Year.
“Late 2020 and early 2021 has tested the Indian Sikh community, and I hope the coming months will be marked by peace, prosperity, and respect for all faith communities," Garamendi said.
The resolution, co-sponsored by more than a dozen other lawmakers including Dr Ami Bera and Frank Pallone, recognises the historic, cultural, and religious significance of the festival of Baisakhi. Recognising the significance of Baisakhi to Sikh communities in the United States and around the world, the resolution expresses its respect for all communities that celebrate the festival.
- Trump's new gun export rules could aid terrorists, tyrants and criminals
- Resolution Urges Improved Healthcare Access For Military Families
- 'I'm proud to be a bartender. Ain't nothing wrong with that' says AOC in rebuke to Trump who belittled 29-year-old Green New Deal author as a 'young bartender'
- Extra ‘special candidates’ introduced for Vietnam’s key leadership positions
- Los Angeles and New York City officials urge boycott of meat companies linked to Amazon fires
- Trump Impeachment Articles Introduced by Six Democrats Calling for Hearings to Begin Immediately
Bengali New Year: Resolution introduced in US Congress to recognise significance of Baisakhi have 808 words, post on www.oneindia.com at April 15, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.