Villarreal v Arsenal: Europa League semi-final preview
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Mikel Arteta will be hoping to lead Arsenal to this year’s Europa League final with victory over Spanish side Villarreal in their last four meeting. The La Liga hopefuls, currently managed by former Gunners boss Unai Emery, are likely to provide the north London club with a stern test in order to maintain their own hopes of European glory this season.
Express Sport takes a look at the Arsenal side that could line up at the Estadio de la Ceramica for Thursday evening’s first-leg encounter.
Goalkeeper – Leno
Bernd Leno should keep his place between the sticks despite dropping a clanger on Friday evening to hand Everton a narrow 1-0 victory at the Emirates Stadium. Premier League table.
Arteta is hoping to lead Arsenal to Europa League glory (Image: GETTY)
Defence – Chambers, Gabriel, Holding, Tierney
Calum Chambers appears to have established himself as Arsenal’s first-choice right back in recent weeks, and could be handed another chance to impress at the expense of Hector Bellerin on Thursday evening. Usual starter Kieran Tierney should occupy the other full-back position after Arteta confirmed on Wednesday that he would be considered for selection. The Scot had been replaced by Granit Xhaka, who struggled to adapt to the role, in recent outings but has recovered from a knee ligament injury in time to face Villarreal. Meanwhile, Rob Holding is likely to retain his place at the heart of Arsenal’s back four, while Gabriel Magalhaes could replace Pablo Mari alongside the former Bolton Wanderers man.
Odegaard has impressed for the Gunners this season (Image: GETTY)
Midfield – Partey, Xhaka, Odegaard
Thomas Partey appears to be in line to feature in front of the defence, with the Ghanaian powerhouse likely to be partnered by Xhaka in the middle of the park. The latter has been a regular for the Gunners under Arteta this season and should return to his usual position for Thursday’s match. Real Madrid loanee Martin Odegaard is the club’s best creative player and will take up the No 10 role in place of Emile Smith Rowe, who could be forced to settle for a place on the bench. The Norwegian playmaker has proven to be a welcome addition to Arteta’s side and will be hoping to produce another influential performance in Spain ahead of the return leg in seven days’ time.
Arsenal were beaten Europa League finalists in 2019 (Image: EXPRESS)
Attack – Saka, Pepe, Lacazette
Hale End graduate Bukayo Saka has emerged as one of the first names on the team sheet this season, and should assume his preferred position on the right flank. Nicolas Pepe, who has scored five goals and provided another four assists in the Europa League this season, is likely to be deployed on the opposite wing. At the top of the pitch, Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang have both returned to the first-team picture ahead of Thursday’s clash, but the former ought to get the nod after his recent goalscoring escapades. However, there could still be a role to play for the latter after recovering from malaria, and it remains to be seen whether he will be utilised as an impact sub by Arteta. Expected Arsenal XI to play Villarreal – Leno; Chambers, Gabriel, Holding, Tierney; Partey, Xhaka; Saka, Odegaard, Pepe; Lacazette.
- India vs New Zealand, 2nd Test: Preview, Dream11 Fantasy Tips, Team News, TV info
- India vs New Zealand 2nd Test preview: Where to watch, team news, possible XI and betting odds
- Olympiacos 0 Arsenal 1: Alexandre Lacazette strikes as Gunners earn massive win in Greek cauldron
- Colorado Rapids vs. Arsenal: Where to Watch, Live Stream, Team News and Latest Odds
- Arsenal vs. Bayern Munich: Where to Watch, Live Stream, Team News and Latest Odds
- India vs New Zealand 1st Test preview: Where to watch live, team news, betting odds and possible XI
- ISL 2019-20: Chennaiyin FC Vs FC Goa: Preview, Team News, Dream11, Fantasy Tips, TV Info
- How Arsenal will line up vs Olympiacos with Arteta facing Lacazette dilemma and Kolasinac ruled out with injury
- Portsmouth vs Arsenal LIVE RESULT: Score, stream free, TV channel, kick-off time and team news in FA Cup 5th round
- ISL 2019-20: NorthEast United FC vs Chennaiyin FC: Preview, Team News, Dream11, Fantasy Tips, TV Info
- Joshua vs Pulev: Anthony Joshua set to face Kubrat Pulev on June 20
- Marcos Alonso’s dad hints Chelsea star could return to Italy amid Inter Milan transfer links
- Brighton vs Crystal Palace FREE: Live stream, TV channel, kick off time and team news for Premier League clash
- Stephen Curry injury update: Warriors star will return on March 1 against Wizards, per report
- Visceral Games vs. EA - More Star Wars Details Revealed Alongside Rocky History
- Golden State star set to return from injury
- Stephen Curry injury update: Comments from Steve Kerr throw status of Warriors star's return into question
- Arsenal news LIVE: Everton victory REACTION, Inter chasing Aubameyang, Soler summer interest, Cristante transfer
- Barcelona target Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang transfer swoop as Arsenal skipper’s contract runs down
- New Zealand vs India, 2nd Test: Preview, Dream11: Shaw to play, Ashwin-Jadeja race tightens
Arsenal team news: Expected 4-2-3-1 vs Villarreal with three Gunners stars set to return have 990 words, post on www.express.co.uk at April 29, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.