Activate: The story of an R&D journey of more than two decades
All new technology has its own story that goes hand in hand with research and development, yet taking more than two decades for R&D like BlueScope's Activate® technology is barely seen in the industry. Surprisingly, the "abnormity" in the Activate® R&D enables this unique technology to set a "new norm" in Vietnam's alloy-coated steel industry. The story of researching and developing Activate® told by Mr. Daniel Parker, Process Development Manager, BlueScope Innovation unveils underlying know-how of this very technology.
|Mr. Daniel Parker, Process Development Manager, BlueScope Innovation.|
It is common sense that the market is constantly changing and so is technology. What inspired BlueScope to develop Activate® – a technology that can still claim "best-of-the-breed" regardless of more than 20 years of testing?
– At BlueScope, we understand that our success depends on our customers choosing us. That's why we work closely with them to create value and trust, share ideas and bring the benefits of innovative, sustainable products and services to their own businesses and projects.
We have manufacturing operations in 18 countries, and sales offices in other locations around the world. Through this supply network, around 14,000 BlueScope people serve thousands of customers worldwide. That's to say we have in-depth understanding of customers' needs and our customers, as end users, have always been looking for ways to expand the lifespan of their plant/workshops/buildings, maximizing their investment. This is where our Activate technology fits in.
So why did it take BlueScope more than 20 years to invent the Activate® technology?
– In order to ensure the new generation of COLORBOND® steel and ZINCALUME® steel with Activate® coating technology lives up to the highest expectations in durability, we conducted a comprehensive testing programme that included accelerated laboratory corrosion tests, as well as real-world outdoor exposure tests. Over a 20-year period, more than 8,000 profile panels have undergone Q-Fog cyclic testing and salt spray testing in laboratories. A further 10,000 panels have been tested in 22 different exposure sites in Australia and around the world. The Activate technology is covered by over 20 patent applications that have been filed worldwide, related to the unique and effective microstructure in our new technology that differentiates it from any other product on the market.
What makes Activate® technology corrosion resistant? Is this technology a good fit for challenging environments in the industrial or coastal context?
– The key factor behind BlueScope's patented ACTIVATE® technology lies in the unique composition and microstructure of four phases including Aluminium – Zinc and two strategically positioned magnesium compounds.
With the unique composition and microstructure of the four phases, our new generation COLORBOND® steel and ZINCALUME® steel create a self-sealing effect that greatly improves corrosion resistance at cut edges, screw holes, and scratches. This mechanism improves the protection of projects in harsh environments such as marine and polluted industrial sites, enabling them to withstand the test of time. And of course it's a good "candidate" for any projects in Vietnam from benign environments to more challenging environments close to marine or industrial areas.
|Vingroup chooses COLORBOND® steel for their Vinfast Factory and its complex areas.|
Since its launch in 2019, has Activate been widely applied by investors?
– Our Activate® technology was launched in Australia in 2013. After six years of presence in a variety of global projects, NS BlueScope Vietnam made a business decision to introduce this very technology to Vietnam's market as a breakthrough to improve our product quality, thereby accelerate the growth of the country's construction industry.
|Kizuna IZ has experience in using Colorbond® steel for their ready serviced factories for more than 10 years. When Activate technology was launched in 2019, they confidently chose new generation COLORBOND® steel for their new project Kizuna 3.|
|C.P. Group chooses Colorbond® steel for many factories.|
As our Activate® technology sets a new standard to Vietnam's alloy-coated steel industry, it is welcome by prestigious investors across several sectors. We are now having big world-class factories such as Vinfast, Kizuna, FM Logistic, C.P., Masan applying our new coating technology in Colorbond® steel or Zincalume® steel… We believe they will be the trend setters in the industry with our solutions.
- The Art of Saying Goodbye to ‘Toy Story,’ ‘Dragon’ Series
- Weight loss story: "The new mama lost 20 kilos with this really simple weight loss plan!"
- What a decade it's been! From the most joyous occasions to the moments that shocked us, Reuters' best images from the last ten years captured them all
- Hrithik Roshan flattered to be voted as the sexiest Asian male of the decade
- Hrithik Roshan 'Flattered' to be Named Sexiest Asian Male of the Decade
- What’s on TV this week: Mrs Fletcher, Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Marriage Story and more
Activate: The story of an R&D journey of more than two decades have 810 words, post on english.thesaigontimes.vn at April 15, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.