The anticipated rise in farm and food prices, especially for chicken, sugar, tapioca products and pineapples, as well as Thailand ‘s strict safety and supervisory measures to prevent the spread of the virus and food contamination, are factors in the food export prediction, according to the Board of Trade, the National Food Institute and the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI).
FTI president Anong Paijiprapapon said food exports tallied 980 billion THB last year, down 4.1 percent from the previous year, with shipments in dollar terms equivalent to 31.3 billion USD, down 5.1 percent.
Lower exports led Thailand’s share of the world food market to drop to 2.32 percent last year from 2.49 percent in 2019. Thailand’s food exporter ranking in the world fell to 13th from 11th the year before.
According to Anong, Thailand's food exports only grew to China, the US and Oceania, with outbound shipments to China amounting to 180 billion THB, up 18.1 percent, with those to the US up 12.2 percent to 119 billion THB, and Oceania up 1.7 percent to 33.1 billion THB.
Exports to other markets, particularly Africa, ASEAN, Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, and the United Kingdom all fell, she said.
China is Thailand’s top food export market, accounting for 18.3 percent of the total, followed by CLMV (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam) at 13.9 percent, and Japan at 12.7 percent.
Anong said apart from the pandemic impact, food exports last year also struggled with the stubborn baht strength, a container shortage and higher transport costs./.
- Central bank targets credit growth of 12 percent in 2021
- Thailand’s exports to rebound to 3 – 4 percent this year: TNSC
- WB forecasts 3.3 percent growth for Sri Lanka in 2021
- Garment-textile sector eyes 10 percent growth in 2018
- KSINC poised for growth, despite setback
- Property prices expected to rise 10 percent in 2021
- upGrad records 100 percent growth since start of fiscal year
- Car Sales Report For December 2020: MG Motor India Registers 33 Percent Growth In Yearly Sales
- Thailand puts forward 14-point plan to boost trade in 2021
- Overcoming pandemic shocks, maintaining high growth rate, Vietnam is the ‘next Asian miracle’
- Rice export turnover up 10 percent in 2020
- Vietnam one of few bright spots in global economy in 2021: experts
- Get set for largest vaccine drive: 2021 brings hope
- Top fried chicken restaurant chains post 11 pct growth
- Valuations of Vietnamese stocks could soar in 2021
- UAE’s LuLu Group to set up food processing unit in Greater Noida
- Jan-Sept GDP growth lowest in a decade
- Vietnam’s exports to US estimated at 76.4 billion USD
- Bike Sales Report For December 2020: Bajaj Auto Registers A 11% Growth In Yearly Sales
- Positive prospects for Vietnam’s economy in 2021
Thailand’s food exports poised for 7.1 percent growth in 2021 have 461 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at February 19, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.