By: KDKA-TV News Staff
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The long-time former Pittsburgh firefighters union President Joe King has died.
Ralph Sicuro, the President of the Pittsburgh Fire Fighters, IAFF Local No. 1, says King was a firefighter for 40 years and the union president for 26. He passed away Tuesday morning.
"Joe displayed immeasurable talent with uniquely special charisma, passion, and creativity to his job of fighting for and protecting our members' wages, retirement benefits, healthcare, and especially our safety. Joe was not only a warrior for our members, but he equally loved and fought to protect the residents of the City of Pittsburgh," Sicuro said in a statement.
King remained the president of the firefighters union until he retired in 2014.
"Joe King was a great battler on behalf of the men and women of the Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire. He gave everything he had to his union, his bureau, his country and his city," said Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto in a statement.
"I have the utmost respect for him, and he leaves a lasting legacy of hard work on behalf of working people everywhere."
Pittsburgh firefighter and Allegheny-Fayette Central Labor Council President Darrin Kelly called King "a true legend."
"Joe King was a Pittsburgh Firefighter, a labor leader, a proud Vietnam veteran and a great friend and mentor to so many of us," Kelly's statement said in part.
"Personally and professionally, I would not be the man I am today without his guidance and support. We are crushed by his loss, but so grateful for the example he set for us as a selfless leader and a tenacious fighter for working families."
- All Members of SWAT Team in Florida City Resign, Including Police Union President, Over Chief Kneeling With Protesters
- Brandon Stoddard, Former ABC Entertainment President, Dies at 77
- Exclusive – Union Workers Go All In to Reelect Their Fighter, Trump: ‘The Democrats Left Us Behind 30 Years Ago’
- Biden urges battleground Pennsylvania voters to ‘put an end’ to Trump presidency
- How tragedy shaped man poised to be America's new president: After a life dogged by family trauma and political failure, Joe Biden - a used car salesman's son from Pennsylvania – closes in on the White House
- Joe Biden Makes Several Pittsburgh-Area Campaign Stops, Including Drive-In Rally With Lady Gaga
- Do or die battle for Donald Trump and Biden as US presidential elections enter last stretch
- 'Since when did the Lamestream Media decide who the President is?' Trump doubles down on refusing to concede and Melania backs his claims of fraud - but Republicans start telling him to give up the fight
- The breakup of the Soviet Union ended Russia's march to democracy
- China's president Xi Jinping warns of 'grave situation' as killer coronavirus accelerates, doctor dies and US evacuates its citizens from hotspot Wuhan after death toll jumps to 56 with 1,372 cases and 56 million on lockdown
- Lokpal gets 1,427 complaints in 2019-20; 613 against State govts, 4 against Union ministers, MPs
- President-elect Joe Biden seeks to unite nation with victory speech
- Globalists Salute: Angela Merkel, EU President Hail Future ‘Cooperation’ With Joe Biden
- Harris bursts through another barrier, becoming the first female, first Black and first South Asian vice president-elect
- Joe Biden to become the second Catholic president ever, following JFK
- Trump brands Joe Biden a ‘touchy-feely person’ and says rival is not ‘mentally equipped to be president’
- California fires live updates: North Complex Fire claims 16th victim after hospitalized man dies
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Joe Biden wins presidency, elected 46th U.S. president
- Biden defeats Trump in an election he made about character of the nation and the President
- Biden overtakes Trump in Pennsylvania AND Georgia and is hours from victory - but President says the election is 'not over' after incredible rant claiming conspiracy against him
Former Pittsburgh Firefighters Union President Dies have 659 words, post on pittsburgh.cbslocal.com at February 9, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.