INS Mumbai, a frontline guided-missile destroyer of the Indian Navy, celebrated its 20th anniversary on Friday, the Indian Navy said.
Various events such as blood donation camp, tree plantation drive and a run between two prominent locations of Mumbai — Girgaon Chowpati and JK Kapur Chowk, Worli, where the ship’s model is installed — were conducted to commemorate the occasion.
The ship has an extremely illustrious lineage and rich legacy of dominance at sea since its first avatar of HCS Bombay in the 18th century.
“The ship’s motto is ‘Aham Prayptam Tvidametesam Balama’, which translates to ‘I am Invincible’, resonating with the spirit of the city. The ship’s crest also draws inspiration from the city depicting the main gateway entrance to the Bombay Castle Barracks commissioned in 1951 in the honour of great Maratha Admiral Kanhoji Angre,” Indian Navy said in a statement.
INS Mumbai, built indigenously at the Mazagon dock, is the latest of three P-15 class destroyers and was commissioned by the then Governor of
#Destroyer #INSMumbai celebrates 20th anniversary today in service to the Nation. The ship’s association with… https://t.co/IJKu4L6W3h
— PRO Defence Mumbai (@DefPROMumbai) 1611297960000
Since commissioning, the ship has rendered yeoman service to the nation and has always excelled in all her endeavours. She was adjudged the ‘Best Ship’ thrice and the ‘Most Spirited Ship’ twice, which is a rare feat for any warship.
With a displacement of over 6,500 tonnes, the ship is manned by 350 sailors and 40 officers. The ship spans 163 metres in length, 17 metres at the beam, and propelled by four gas turbines, it is capable of achieving speed in excess of 32 knots.
Fitted with a state-of-the-art weapons suite, which includes surface-to-surface missiles, surface-to-air missiles, anti-submarine rockets and torpedoes, the ship can unleash lethal firepower upon the enemy. The ship also operates all kinds of helicopters in the naval inventory, which are its extended eyes and ears.
The ship has been at the forefront of major naval operations like Operation Parakram (2002), Operation Sukoon (2006: Evacuation of Indian, Nepalese and Sri Lankan citizens from Lebanon) and Operation Rahat (2015: Evacuation of Indian and foreign nationals from Yemen).
“With an aim to foster a greater understanding of combat potential and synergise the available means and resources of the armed forces, the ship is affiliated to the Maratha Light Infantry Regiment of the Indian Army. The raison d’etre of the affiliation is to produce a battle-winning combination in war,” the force said.
Interestingly, various parts of the ship have been christened after iconic locales in the city of Mumbai.
To name a few, the entrance to the ship is called the ‘Gateway’, dining halls are called ‘Khau Gallia’, and the flagstaff light is called ‘Prongs Lighthouse’. Tucked away like ‘Virar’ in one corner is the quarterdeck, while the helo deck is known as ‘Sahar Airport’ and the panoramic view from the ship’s bridge is referred to as ‘Malabar Hill’.
- Woodstock Film Fest celebrates 20th anniversary Oct. 2-6
- Lara Croft joins video game hall of fame as gamers celebrate 20th anniversary of Tomb Raider
- Las Esperanzas, Inc. celebrates 20th anniversary
- B*Witched reveal sensational comeback plans to celebrate 20th anniversary with new music
- Portland’s Trails to Ales celebrates 20th anniversary
- Portland’s Trail to Ale celebrates 20th anniversary
- DW's Albanian Service celebrates 20th anniversary
- eXp Realty Celebrates 10th Anniversary
- How well do you remember Ant and Dec’s Saturday morning show SM:tv Live ahead of the 20th anniversary reunion?
- Ant and Dec confirm SM:TV Live reunion with Cat Deeley WILL HAPPEN to celebrate show’s 20th anniversary
- Alan Titchmarsh denies rumours of a Ground Force reunion to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the show
- Arsene Wenger presented with commemorative vase for 20th anniversary but fans unimpressed on Twitter
- Experience Disneyland Paris’ 20th Anniversary for £9.50
- Charlie Dimmock hints at Ground Force comeback to celebrate show’s 20th anniversary
- Here’s 10 things you didn’t know about the Spice Girls hit Wannabe as the track celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Arsenal back in training ahead of Hull match as Arsene Wenger celebrates his 20th anniversary in charge of Gunners
- What is The Full Monty? The classic film behind ITV special celebrating its 20th anniversary – here’s all you need to know
- FANS go wild as TWO new Harry Potter books set to be released for wizard’s 20th anniversary
- Amelia Park Arena readies for 20th Anniversary
- Princes William and Harry RULE OUT tribute concert for 20th anniversary of Princess Diana’s death
INS Mumbai celebrates 20th anniversary have 772 words, post on mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com at January 22, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.