Former French Prime Minister Edouard Balladur goes on trial Tuesday within the so-called Karachi affair for allegedly financing his 1995 presidential campaign with kickbacks, The Guardian reported.
The scandal has been shaking the French political landscape for over 25 years. It centres around allegations of corruption involving two French arms deals – the first was the sale of submarines to Pakistan in 1993, and the second was frigate sales to Saudi Arabia in 1995.
The deals, signed when Balladur was prime minister under Francois Mitterand, involved kickbacks estimated at some 13 million francs at the time (€2 million today), 10 million of which went as a cash donation to Balladur’s campaign.
Balladur, who has been charged with complicity in the alleged misappropriation of public funds, has denied any wrongdoing and said that he thought the money for his campaign was coming from sales of t-shirts at rallies and meetings.
In June 2020, three former government officials were found guilty on charges involving the kickbacks. The three are - Nicolas Bazire, Balladur’s former campaign manager, Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres, a former adviser to Defence Minister François Léotard and Thierry Gaubert, a former adviser to then-budget minister and later president Nicolas Sarkozy.
- Emmanuel Macron: the French outsider who would be president
- 'EU won't change one dot or comma': Nigel Farage declares it is 'absolute rubbish' to suggest new Tory PM could renegotiate May's Brexit deal as he blasts Jeremy Hunt's No Deal u-turn
- Mozambique votes in test for recent peace deal
- Crowdfunding for dams — why Pakistani PM Khan's drive is not feasible
- French opposition elects hard-right leaning leader
- Ishaq Dar: Pakistani PM Imran Khan 'responsible for current economic mess'
- Start your Monday smart: Climate deal, impeachment, Roger Stone, Jerry Sandusky, NCAA
- Trump pushes Japan into China's arms
- One year of #MeToo: A timeline of events
- The Hill's Morning Report — Trump broadens call for Biden probes
- Revolution Now: S’West conspiring to overthrow Buhari – CNG
- Revolution Protest: Rumpus, as DSS gets order to detain Sowore for 45 days
- Munich Security Report sees world as a broken puzzle
- Simply put: How the forces protect VIPs
- 2019 Presidency: Buhari, Atiku combination very interesting — Ameh Ebute
- Recep Tayyip Erdogan divides youth vote on Turkey's election eve
- Varney: Warren is living in 'financial and political fantasy'
- California bill nearing passage could be domino that brings down NCAA's amateurism philosophy
- Donald Trump pleased Europeans are unhappy with him
- Humiliated Theresa May finally gets sympathy from the fellow European leaders who helped make Brexit impossible for her as she arrives in Brussels - as triumphant Farage turns up in town
Former French PM and 1995 Presidential Candidate Balladur to Go on Trial Over 'Arms Deals Kickbacks' have 425 words, post on sputniknews.com at January 19, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.