British conductor Simon Rattle, a staunch critic of Brexit, on Friday made public that he has applied for German citizenship.
The 65-year-old lives in Berlin with his wife, the Czech singer Magdalena Kozena, and their three children.
He will join the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra in Munich as chief conductor in mid-2023.
Liverpool-born Rattle, who has called the UK’s decision to quit the EU a “terrible mistake,” says he still intends to keep his British nationality.
“Of course, that would otherwise be emotionally impossible,” the DPA news agency quoted him as saying. “I have to say that the truth is that my decision was, of course, of a musical nature, but also very personal.”
Rattle will remain with the London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) until he takes up his new job in Munich.
Sir Simon Rattle will take up his new job in Munich in 2023
The conductor, who turns 66 this month and is known for his shock of white curly hair, shot to prominence in the 1980s.
That was when he guided Britain’s City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra from provincial obscurity to international renown.
An appointment to run the Berlin Philharmonic, one of the world’s leading orchestras, followed in 2002.
Rattle announced in 2015 that he would return to London, a year before Britain’s vote to leave the European Union.
In his last appearance as chief conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic in summer 2018, on an outdoor stage in a forest, he expressed his sorrow at the outcome of the Brexit referendum.
jf/s,s (dpa, Reuters)
- My First Car: Life with “Simon Q.”
- In Donald Trump’s Census, Who Counts?
- Top 25 things to do in 2019: New Phoenix Theatre, Gabriel Iglesias, 'Lion King,' Bad Bunny and more
- Food writer Josh Ozersky's death accidental
- Maureen O'Hara of 'Miracle on 34th Street' dies at 95
- Vincent Margera -- 'Don Vito' from 'Jackass' franchise -- dead at 59
- Estonia's e-Residency Gives Brexit Businesses a Way to Stay in the EU
- The questions you need to ask before moving to Sweden
- Majority of white Americans believe discrimination against whites exists, poll finds
- 'Change Through Trade Has Failed': China Pressures Foreign Companies to Fall In Line on Protests
- Is the Shit Show That Got Me Through This Shit Year
- Trump to dismantle Dodd-Frank Wall Street rules through executive orders
- 20 questions & answers to prove your York, Pa., smarts
- Well-known former York County resident Dr. Susan Williams dies in traffic accident
- Look Ahead: The hottest Seattle events for October 2019
- The moneymen and Brexit
- Mercedes' frailties exposed at Silverstone
- Movie screenings for the week of August 23
British conductor Simon Rattle applies for German citizenship have 451 words, post on www.dw.com at January 15, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.