During the campaign for the November 3 US election, Trump pledged that his Republican colleagues would unseat Omar and her fellow Democrats, claiming their progressive politics had alienated voters.
"You know, one of the reasons we’re gonna win Minnesota? Ilhan Omar," Trump told a crowd in Pennsylvania on November 2 .
"I'm gonna win Minnesota because of Ilhan Omar," he said at an October 29 rally in Florida .
However, Trump's Democratic rival, Joe Biden, won Minnesota handily on November 3 by 7 percentage points. What's more, both Omar and Minnesota Democratic Senator Tina Smith won their reelection races.
"He effed around and found out, I guess," Omar told Intercept journalist Ryan Grim on the November 6 episode of the Deconstructed podcast when asked her opinion about the election results.
The quip is now featured on a pair of T-shirts and stickers on Omar's site , one in gold and one in blue, but in a slightly more explicit form that stars out some of the letters.
The store features T-shirts, sweatshirts and stickers with other slogans as well, including "organized people beat organized money" and "women of color refused to be muzzled."
Omar belongs to an informal bloc of Democratic women of color in the US House of Representatives who swept into office in the 2018 elections called "the Squad." While each of them has aroused conservative anger and even jostled their more centrist Democratic colleagues with their outspoken progressive politics, Omar has attracted unique vitriol from Trump because she is a Somali immigrant and a Muslim who wears a hijab. The only other Muslim in Congress, Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), is also part of the Squad.
Since before he became president in 2017, Trump has attacked both immigrants and Muslims, claiming they form a criminal element in the United States and are hostile to American values and warning that Democrats will enable such problems to continue . After he took office, he quickly moved to ban immigration from a slew of majority-Muslim countries and vastly expanded efforts to hunt down, prosecute and deport undocumented immigrants , especially from the Caribbean and Latin America.
"In 2016 I almost won Minnesota. In 2020, because of America hating anti-Semite Rep. Omar, & the fact that Minnesota is having its best economic year ever, I will win the State! 'We are going to be a nightmare to the President,' she say. No, AOC Plus 3 are a Nightmare for America!" Trump tweeted in 2019, referring to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), another Squad member. The fourth member of the Squad is Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-MA). All of them won their reelection campaigns in 2020.
Trump, however, has likely been unseated himself. Although he has contested the ballot count in several US states where the race was close between him and Biden, recounts have only seen state officials re-certify their earlier reports that Biden had won, and his lawsuits alleging voter fraud have been thrown out one by one. Most of the mainstream media have declared Biden the winner, and the presumed president-elect has moved ahead with building his transition team for a January 2021 assumption of office, but the decision is not official until either Trump concedes or the Electoral College casts its votes, the latter of which will happen next week.
- Rep. Ilhan Omar starts furor with tweets on ‘compromised’ Sen. Graham
- Rep. Ilhan Omar's first day in Congress: "This country is still a place of hope"
- Minnesota's Rep. Ilhan Omar gets $250G book deal amid uproar over her comments
- Readers Write: U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar, e-cigarette advertising, Final Four costs, the harm once brought by women's hats
- Rep. Ilhan Omar facing new scrutiny over past effort to win leniency for 9 men accused of trying to join ISIS
- Rep. Ilhan Omar faces backlash after claiming Trump is backing ‘coup’ in Venezuela
- Rep. Ilhan Omar: Freshman Dem slammed for tweets on Graham, Israel
- Rep. Ilhan Omar succeeds in changing U.S House ban on headwear
- Rep. Ilhan Omar wants childcare reimbursed for federal employees working without pay
- Rep. Ilhan Omar wants child care reimbursed for federal employees working without pay
- Rep. Ilhan Omar on Sen. Lindsey Graham: 'He is compromised'
- U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar calls for end to 'tantrum' over shutdown
- Rep. Ilhan Omar, Somali refugee turned congresswoman, to publish memoir in 2020
- Rep.-elect Ilhan Omar, U.S. House Democratic leaders want to alter ban of hats to allow religious headwear
- Rep.-elect Omar to pastor who complained about hijabs: ‘Just deal’
- U.S. Reps. McCollum, Omar, Phillips ask feds to extend comment period on Twin Metals leases
- U.S. Rep.-elect Ilhan Omar statements on Israel return to spotlight
- Ilhan Omar Reflects On Being A Refugee As She Prepares To Be Sworn In As A Congresswoman
- Rep.-Elect Ilhan Omar Says She'll Work To Lift Ban On Religious Headwear In Congress
- The same state — and party — sent Rep. Collin Peterson and Rep-elect Ilhan Omar to Congress. What does that mean for Democrats’ agenda?
Photo: Minnesota Rep Ilhan Omar Selling ‘F**k Around and Find Out’ T-Shirts After Democratic Victory have 849 words, post on sputniknews.com at December 9, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.