THIS is the dramatic moment 30 beauty queens plunged into a pond when a bridge snapped in Thailand.
The glamorous Miss Thailand hopefuls were taking part in the second day of the competition in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
As part of the contest, they were visiting a cafe and posing for pictures on a suspension bridge made from ropes connected to a steel walkway.
However, the structure could not hold their weight and it snapped – sending them crashing into the filthy water below.
Three of the girls were injured with one suffering cuts and bruises on her forehead while the two others had minor scrapes.
They were all taken to hospital for a checkup but have been discharged.
Worapot Chatkanjana, the embarrassed owner of the restaurant where the event was being held, promised to cover the treatment costs for the injured women.
He donated £12,500 to cover their bills.
Mr Chatkanjana, 43, said: ”I’ll also pay for the other contestants to have their dresses cleaned professionally.
”I don’t know why the bridge broke. It is strong, but it just could not handle the weight of the women.
“In the future, we will make improvements to the bridge to be even stronger.”
The remaining 27 beauty pageant hopefuls continued the event and the other three will rejoin tomorrow.
Dr Adisorn Suddee, Director of the Miss Thailand 2020, said: ”Normally the contest is held in Bangkok, but this time we chose Chiang Mai and we were confident that it would be safe and secure.
Most read in News
Mutant strain ALREADY all over UK and more Tier 4 restrictions imminent
Wills & Kate accused of breaking ‘rule of six’ with Prince Edward & family
Grace Millane killer raped another Brit months before strangling backpacker
Hundreds of workers at DVLA infected with Covid after outbreak at offices
Boris can’t promise schools will return after Christmas due to Covid strain
OUT OF CONTROL
Mutant covid strain everywhere & hospital cases set to hit April peak by NYE
”This was the second day of the contest and it was unexpected that the bridge would break.”
Beauty pageants are a booming industry in Thailand, with events held regionally and nationally throughout the year.
Women can win the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of pounds in cash and prizes – as well as lucrative modelling and sponsorship agreements.
- 'A royal favourite': Tips to make garden show 'wealth and power' with 'spectacular ponds'
- WATCH Kate leaves Danish Queen in hysterics as pair enjoy touching moment
- Kate & Princess Mary melt hearts as future Queens share touching moment with adoring kids
- Brit Awards’ most iconic hosting moments from Jack Whitehall stirring beef to Sharon Osbourne’s sweary outburst
- Royal Family LIVE: Queen Kate! Fans delight as Duchess lands major coup
- Royal Family: Queen Kate! Fans delight as Duchess lands major coup
- Royal Family: She knew! Kate's coded Queen Camilla message sends royal fans wild
- Queen Elizabeth news – Buckingham Palace REFUSES to deny Her Majesty, 95, has covid after contact with Prince Charles
- 'The irony!' Catherine Zeta-Jones raises eyebrows as tribute to Queen sparks confusion
- Mortifying moment Grant Denyer 'confronts' a comedian after he joked about rumours the TV star once had a 'drug issue': 'Nice set, mate'
- Interesting festivals to experience in Thailand
- At least 50 dead and 27 missing as flash floods and landslides hit Indonesia
- Phuket Gazette World News: Queen Beatrix to abdicate Dutch throne
- The 100 best comedies to watch on Netflix right now
- Meghan Markle news latest – Why Prince Harry & Duchess could still play a MAJOR role in Prince Charles’ coronation
- The Best Wellness Getaways In North America For Valentine’s Day And Beyond
- As Miami's skyline booms, the future of a long-neglected tropical Brutalist gem hangs in the balance
- 'Vile and creepy' Sussex fury as Meghan dragged into furious Kate row
- Royal Family LIVE: Kate and William forced to step up as Firm struck by Covid turmoil
- Dave Grohl, A Rock Star Possessed, Drums Up Scares In ‘Studio 666’ – Deadline Q&A
Hilarious moment 30 beauty queens plunge into pond as bridge collapses during Miss Thailand photo shoot have 670 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at December 7, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.