The UK now has the second-highest number of confirmed coronavirus fatalities in Europe.
Government data released on Saturday showed there have been 534 deaths within 28 days of a positive COVID-19 test – bringing the nationwide total to 67,075.
This is a slight rise from 489 deaths recorded on Friday – however, the number of new cases reported on Saturday stood at 27,051, a fall of about 1,500 compared with 24 hours earlier.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
In total, more than two million people in the UK have tested positive to date. Only Italy has had more coronavirus fatalities in Europe – and worldwide, the UK has the sixth-highest number of COVID deaths.
According to Johns Hopkins University, which is tracking the pandemic, the UK has also recorded the second-highest number of confirmed cases, with just over two million. France has posted more than 2.5 million.
The new statistics came as Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced Tier 4 restrictions for large swathes of London and the South East.
“When the science changes, we must change our response,” he said.
People in Tier 4 areas will no longer be allowed to form “Christmas bubbles” with other households.
- UK kill rate soars to highest number for a decade as knife crime rockets
- U.S. has highest car crash death rate, despite progress, CDC says
- Three die in Ben Nevis avalanche tragedy: UK's highest mountain claims more victims
- Measles cases reach second-highest level since disease was ‘eliminated’
- Birmingham: Second teenager stabbed to death in a week identified
- Scots cops make second highest drug related arrests in Europe as deaths rise
- Knoxville, Knox County killings hit highest number, at 36, since 1998
- London murder rate 2019 – how many murders have there been this year so far & which city has the world’s highest murder rate?
- 2,000 scarlet fever and 100 measles cases as surge in reports hits highest level
- Teen deaths stir knife crime debate in Britain, which limits guns
- KNIFE CRIME CRISIS: Policing minister reveals SHOCK dilemma facing UK gang members
- Knife epidemic: Theresa May ignored warnings as police cuts led to knife deaths
- Knife crime reaches HIGHEST level since 2009 - 'we are screaming out for more police’
- Reported anti-Semitic incidents hit record high in UK -- charity
- Foreign drivers fiddle: British licenses without having to take ANY test in the UK
- Shamima Begum begs for second chance and says she 'regrets having kids in Syria'
- Measles cases reach record high in Europe
- Top 10 most expensive UK streets in 2018 revealed by Zoopla
- UK's biggest ever EuroMillions winners - and how they're spending their money
- Teen deaths stir knife crime debate in UK, which limits guns
COVID-19: The UK now has the second-highest number of coronavirus deaths in Europe have 424 words, post on news.sky.com at December 19, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.