Each of the 14 member countries and territories of the ESCAP/WMO (Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific/World Meteorological Organization) Typhoon Committee, including Vietnam, have contributed 10 names that are used for storms. A member can also ask for the removal of names if a storm caused severe consequences.
The Vietnam Meteorological and Hydrological Administration asked the committee to remove Linfa from the list to “remind the community of a powerful storm which caused severe consequences, and to remind people to always be ready for extreme weather patterns.”
Linfa made landfall over central Vietnam on October 11, causing heavy rains, floods and landslides that killed at least 130 people, destroyed 1,000 houses and inundated 120,000 others.
The name Linfa was suggested by Macau and used earlier in 2003, 2009 and 2015. Vietnam’s proposal will be considered at an annual meeting of the committee in 2021, and if accepted Macau will suggest three new names from which one will be chosen.
This is Vietnam’s first attempt to retire a storm’s name.
- How Are Hurricanes Named? Titles Come From These Long Lists
- After 50 years, sister takes home plaque of soldier who died in Vietnam War
- Why wasn't Isaac retired as a hurricane name? It's on a new storm in the Atlantic again
- Avon Lake woman discovers national program to honor Vietnam War veterans
- Storm Callum to follow Bronagh with 'disturbed' weather for the weekend
- UPDATE: Florence weakens to Cat 3 storm, but wind field has grown
- JUST IN: Florence drops to 120-mph storm as it charges toward the Carolinas
- JUST IN: Florence drops to 110-mph storm as it charges toward the Carolinas
- Hurricane, Typhoon or Cyclone? Same Storm, Different Name
- Tropical Storm Lane damage assessment underway
- Hawaii assessing damage from tropical storm
- The Hurricane Holdouts Who Never Leave Now Face a ‘Monster’ Storm
- These 3 Hurricane Misconceptions Can Be Dangerous. Scientists Want to Clear Them Up.
- Catholic diocese in Texas will release names of known child abusers within the clergy
- High-profile witness list in FL Senate aide retaliation case
- How do I know who can get me to retirement?
- War Memorial Names 6,943 Men and Women Killed Since 9/11
- Jill Soloway Talks Transitioning, ‘Transparent,’ Tambor in New Memoir, ‘She Wants It’
- Hurricane Michael: Panama City hunkers down as category 4 storm nears
- Hurricane Florence path: Weakened not weak at Category 2 storm
Vietnam wants destructive Linfa retired from list of storm names have 366 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at November 17, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.