Planning and Investment Minister Nguyen Chi Dung told the National Assembly Monday that his ministry’s proposal has been approved by Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc and the money will be used to complete a coastal road network in the region.
Apart from the stage budget, funding will be sourced from benificiary localities and private companies, Dung said.
One of the important infrastructure projects planned is an expressway network that connects Ca Mau, Bac Lieu and Can Tho. This is set to be completed by 2025, he said.
Dung had said last year that the region’s infrastructure has not received sufficient investment from the government, as evidenced by the lack of several structures like deep-water ports and railway routes.
Lawmakers and officials have also been saying for year that infractural connectivity between Ho Chi Minh City and numerous Mekong Delta provinces was badly lacking, and this was proving to be a development bottleneck for the region.
As of October this year the government has planned seven major expressways totaling 1,000 km and costing VND150 trillion ($6.49 billion) for the Mekong Delta.
The Mekong Delta is home to around 20 million people, or a fifth of theVietnam’s population. It is known as the country’s rice basket that supplies 90 percent of its annual grain exports. It is also a national aquacultural hub that is the source of most of the nation’s seafood exports.
- Mekong Delta expressway construction to begin in 2024
- Solutions sought to turn Can Tho into centre of Mekong Delta region
- Solutions sought to turn Can Tho into center of Mekong Delta region
- DOVECO considers fruit processing plant in Mekong Delta
- PM chairs meeting on development of key EZs
- Hau Giang holds great potential for urban development
- Highway stretch collapses into Mekong river four days after cracking
- Good infrastructure helps prevent drought and saltwater intrusion
- Militancy in Delta was averted with development – Okowa
- Cyclone Amphan shows cost of delaying $38 billion Bangladesh delta plan
- County is pivotal gateway for Yangtze Delta integration
- Voters appreciate leadership, management of Party, State, Government in COVID-19 response
- Chinese gov't spends 86 bln USD on improving school infrastructure in poor regions
- My administration has reduced poverty level in Delta — Okowa
- COVID-19: We’ve taken steps to grow Delta’s economy – Commissioner
- 2019 elections: Presidency cries gang-up, as Obasanjo okays Atiku
- Governance and institutional reforms: Nsima Ekere setting the agenda
- FEC okays N2.9bn for National Oil & Gas Park
- HCMC plans will worsen serious problems, not solve them
- No degree, no problem for this rice innovator
Government okays $2 bln for Mekong Delta infrastructure development have 399 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at November 9, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.