Deputy Minister of Defence, Sen. Lieut. Gen. Hoang Xuan Chien (R) speaks at the conference (Photo: VNA) Hanoi (VNA) – The role of women in UN peacekeeping operations was on the agenda at an online conference held by the Ministry of Defence and the UN Development Programme (UNDP) in Vietnam on November 26. Co-chaired by Deputy Minister of Defence, Sen. Lieut. Gen. Hoang Xuan Chien, and Kamal Malhotra, UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative to Vietnam, the conference aimed to reaffirm Vietnam’s strong commitment to issues relating to women, peace, and security, as well as UN peacekeeping activities, and to demonstrate the country’s active and proactive efforts in taking on the dual roles of a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council and the ASEAN Chair in 2020. In his speech, Chien emphasised that member nations of the UN in general and Southeast Asian countries in particular are making efforts to sustainably increase women’s participation in UN peacekeeping missions. The country officially joined UN peacekeeping missions in 2014. In January 2018, it sent its first female officer to participate in the UN peacekeeping mission in South Sudan, as a tactical staff officer. In October 2018, it successfully deployed the… Read full this story
- 'STEM is a viable career for women, they should be given the right tools to create a gender-equal world'
- The BBC’s gender pay gap should galvanise all working women
- YouTube blames abrupt removal of a live-streamed women's sex tech conference on moderation algorithm and lack of human oversight
- Conference USA officially adds five
- Women's cricket: Australia women ease past England in dead rubber
- Women's cricket: Australia women reach record 209/4 in win over England in tri-series final
- Alcorn hires Kilbert to lead women’s basketball program
- Danielle Kang enjoying ‘freedom’ after winning Women’s PGA
- Brilliant action-RPG sandbox Drox Operative is getting a sequel
- Israel demands major changes in UN peacekeeping in Lebanon
Conference promotes women’s role in UN peacekeeping operations have 325 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at November 26, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.