Leading into arguably the biggest game of the season for the University of Texas, Tom Herman wants the ball in the hands of his best player if the outcome hangs in the balance late in the fourth quarter on Saturday at Oklahoma State. The fourth-year Longhorns coach relayed this week his senior quarterback, Sam Ehlinger, has come through in the clutch before and can handle everything thrown at him in big moments.
Texas is a 3-point underdog this weekend in Stillwater against a Cowboys’ team that is the Big 12’s last remaining unbeaten.
“He’s all that and a bag of chips, man, I’m just telling you,” Herman said Tuesday on SiriusXM. “If you could design the mental and emotional makeup of a quarterback, you couldn’t have designed one better in a laboratory than Sam Ehlinger. He’s not perfect by any stretch, but man, I don’t know that there’s another guy in my life that I would want in my foxhole than that guy.
“He’s going to fight, scratch, claw and leave everything on the field — mind, body and soul, not just for this university, but more importantly, for his teammates and the coaches in that locker room that he cares so deeply about.”
Ehlinger is 2-1 against the Cowboys in his career and the Longhorns have won each of their past two trips to Boone Pickens Stadium. According to ESPN’s updated Football Power Index, Texas continues to be touted as the Big 12’s best team with the Worldwide Leader’s algorithm giving the Longhorns a 13% chance at winning out this season — tops in the conference.
The Longhorns (3-2) are winning 51.4% of simulations against Oklahoma State, who finally has a healthy starting quarterback.
“The Cowboys are in control of their own destiny to make to AT&T Stadium and even with Spencer Sanders missing the team’s first two conference games due to an ankle injury,” Horns247’s Jeff Howe writes.
- Texas QB Sam Ehlinger and OC Mike Yurcich shine in debut
- Tarik Black shows admiration for Sam Ehlinger after Texas debut
- Tom Herman details the difficulties of preparing for this season
- Ehlinger leads No. 14 Texas romp over UTEP 59-3
- Ehlinger's TD pass helps Texas beat No. 6 Oklahoma St. in OT
- Tom Taylor, gay activist who made ornate Christmas displays, dies at 77
- ESPN insiders weigh importance of Red River Rivalry this season
- Life at 40-plus: Brady vs. Brees tastiest of NFL matchups
- BBC boss taps Nicholas Hytner and Nicholas Serota for arts push
- FMIA Week 4: 2020 NFL Weirdness Continues With Postponed Games, Positive Tests And, Oh Yeah, Football
- FMIA Week 7: A Strange Day in NFL, and Why Bucs Signed Antonio Brown
- FMIA Week 5: Rescheduled Games, Fired Coaches and Pain in Dallas—A Look Back at the NFL’s Newsy Sunday
- FMIA Week 3: Josh Allen’s Pissed Off, Tony Romo’s Proud and Buffalo’s 3-0
- Will your NFL team win the Super Bowl? 32 teams and 32 reasons to believe, AFC Edition
- FMIA: The Good, The Bad and The Trubisky In Weird, Wonderful NFL Week 1
- FMIA Week 6: Ryan Tannehill, Titans Are Changing The Narrative In AFC
- The top 10 games of the generation
- Tony Nominee Reactions From Aaron Tveit, Jake Gyllenhaal, Blair Underwood & Others: Thank You, Wear A Mask & Vote – Update
- Stranger Things season 4: release date theories, trailer, Hopper's return, more
- Diana Rigg worried I'd get hit by lightning
Tom Herman on Sam Ehlinger: You couldn't design a better QB have 575 words, post on 247sports.com at October 28, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.