Rock icon Eddie Van Halen has died, after losing a long battle with cancer. His son, Wolfgang Van Halen, took to Twitter to announce the death of his 65 year old musician father.
"I can't believe I'm having to write this, but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning. He was the best father I could ever ask for. Every moment I've shared with him on and off stage was a gift. My heart is broken, and I don't think I'll ever fully recover from this loss. I love you so much, Pop."
Born Edward Lodewijk Van Halen in the Netherlands, Eddie Van Halen's family moved to California when he was 6 years old. Eddie took piano lessons from a young age and went on to become one of the world's biggest rock stars, forming the band Van Halen with his brother Alex and singer David Lee Roth. The band had numerous hits, including their most successful single, Jump , released in 1983.
Tension between Van Halen and singer Roth saw the latter leave the band in 1985, but he returned for a 2007 reunion tour. A 2012 tour had to be cancelled due to Eddie Van Halen's health problems, but a 2015 tour of North America was able to go ahead.
Eddie Van Halen had a well-documented history of alcohol and drug abuse and several health problems that impacted negatively on his work. The alcoholism and drug addiction were major contributors to his divorce in 2007 after a 16 year marriage to actress Valerie Bertinelli. In 2015, he spoke out about his addictions and the effect they had had on him personally and professionally.
"I was an alcoholic, and I needed alcohol to function. I didn't drink to party. Alcohol and cocaine were private things to me. I would use them for work. The blow keeps you awake, and the alcohol lowers your inhibitions. I'm sure there were musical things I would not have attempted were I not in that mental state."
In 2000, a year after undergoing hip surgery, he was diagnosed with tongue cancer following years of smoking. The diagnosis led to him having part of his tongue removed. In 2002, he was declared cancer-free, but the illness subsequently re-surfaced and he was reported to be receiving treatment again last year.
Tributes from some of the biggest names in the music world poured in Tuesday following news of his death.
From Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi…
"I'm just devastated to hear the news of the passing of my dear friend Eddie Van Halen. He fought a long and hard battle with his cancer right to the very end. Eddie was one of a very special kind of person, a really great friend. Rest In Peace my dear friend till we meet again."
From Yusuf/Cat Stevens…
"Sad to hear Eddie Van Halen has passed away. A guitar innovator with a fierce spirit of musical and technical exploration. Prayers and thoughts with his family and friends."
US songwriter Diane Warren said in a tweet that "guitars are gently weeping everywhere. Shred In Power Eddie Van Halen."
The rocker is survived by his second wife Janie Liszewski and his son, as well as his first wife Bertinelli.
SOURCE: Bangkok Post
Keep in contact with Thaiger by following our Facebook page .
Never miss out on future posts by following Thaiger .
- How Michael McDonald, The Affable Captain Of Yacht Rock, Lost His Voice
- A Star Is Born Is the Same Story Told Over and Over, Forever
- Fortnite’s crowd-pleasing battle royale is changing vide games, but kinda not
- In 1996, alternative rock died a messy, forgettable death
- Apple’s original TV shows and series: Brie Larson to star as undercover CIA agent in new drama series
- Apple TV+ original shows, series, and movies: Stephen King to write 'Lisey's Story' miniseries, Julianne Moore to star
- To make the cyber-thriller Searching, these indie filmmakers turned to video games
- Travelling frames: George Michael's personal art collection to go on tour before Christie's auction
- Chevrolet Camaro versus Ford Mustang: Who Ya Got?
- Robot improves your guitar playing by zapping you with a taser when you screw up
- Lucy Fallon: 'People are not happy' Coronation Street’s Bethany Platt on Sinead storyline
- 1998 somehow brought us boy bands, nü-metal, and Neutral Milk Hotel
- Everything coming to Netflix in October 2019
- A guide to the music of Motown
- 108 More Characters We Want Confirmed for 'Super Smash Bros. Ultimate'
- The Modern Lovers, Pere Ubu, and Blondie were ready to rip up 1976
- Every Bruce Springsteen Album, Ranked
- Who's who in Team Boris after brutal cull of Theresa May era: Boris Johnson tells his new-look 'Brexit Cabinet' that Britain is at a 'pivotal moment'
- Coronation Street's Katie McGlynn reveals she gained a stone in weight by gorging on takeaways and cake while filming Sinead Tinker's death
- The unlikely story of the meteorite feud that ended up a fugitive from the law
Rock star Eddie Van Halen loses cancer battle – VIDEO have 835 words, post on thethaiger.com at October 7, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.