|Nike shoes are displayed at a Macy’s store on September 22, 2020 in Corte Madera, California. Nike reported better-than-expected first quarter earnings with net income of $1.52 billion, or 95 cents per share, compared to $1.37 billion, or 86 cents per share, one year ago. (Justin Sullivan/Getty Images/AFP)|
The sports giant, which suffered bruising losses in the prior quarter due to the coronavirus pandemic, notched an 82 percent increase in digital sales in the quarter ending August 31, offsetting lower revenue in its wholesale business and declines in retail stores, where traffic is still down due to Covid-19.
The company experienced big increases among consumers working out on the Nike Training app, while the “Nike Running Club” app has been downloaded more than million times in each of the last four months, said Chief Executive John Donahoe.
“People are more engaged as sort of this movement toward health and fitness, which I think with people being confined to their homes,” Donahoe said on a conference call with analysts.
The company also gave a shout-out to the transformed sports calendar, now jammed after months without pro athletics.
“How cool is it to be able on a weekend to watch literally 10 hours, NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, football, US Open tennis, a major golf tournament,” Donahoe said. “We are thrilled about that… We think that’s good for consumers, and it’s ultimately good for Nike.”
“Does that continue?” Donahoe asked. “I say my prayers every night… obviously safety is paramount, and the more you get in a… a less controlled environment, obviously the more challenging that is.”
Net income for Nike’s first quarter in fiscal year 2021 was $1.5 billion, up 11 percent from the year-ago period.
Revenues dipped one percent to $10.6 billion. The company scored revenue increases in Greater China and Europe/Middle East/Africa, but North American sales declined modestly.
The results were a big improvement from the prior quarter, when Nike suffered a surprise loss following a 38 percent tumble in year-over-year revenues.
Nike has invested heavily in smartphone applications and other direct-to-consumer initiatives at the expense of conventional retailers following the surge in e-commerce, a trend that has accelerated with the coronavirus.
During the quarter, Nike said its profit margins were pinched by higher promotion spending to reduce excess product inventory and higher supply chain costs.
But results benefited from lower marketing spending due to cancelations or postponement of numerous professional sports events.
The company projects full-year revenues to be up “high single digits to low double digits” compared with last year, said Chief Financial Officer Matt Friend.
It expects profit margins to improve somewhat in the second half of its fiscal year, which ends May 31.
Nike expects pricing of goods to improve in the coming months, but that will still have elevated markdown activity, Friend said.
Shares of Nike jumped 13 percent to $132.18 in after-hours trading.
- NIKE, inc (NKE) Q1 2022 Earnings Call Transcript
- DAILY VOICE | Returns will lag earnings growth if market continues to trade in overvalued zone: Rahul Singh of Tata MF
- Lumen Technologies (LUMN) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Kroger (KR) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Ford (F) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Rocket Companies, Inc. (RKT) Q3 2020 Earnings Call Transcript
- ABM Industries Inc (ABM) Q3 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- ANGI Homeservices inc (ANGI) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Rocket Companies, Inc. (RKT) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Cardinal Health, inc (CAH) Q4 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Rocket Companies, Inc. (RKT) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcript
- Teladoc Health (TDOC) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcript
- Scholastic Corp (SCHL) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Spencer Rattler to Kyle Hamilton: 2022 NFL Draft prospects to follow as college football returns
- Airbnb, Inc. (ABNB) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- A Chess Prodigy’s Return to Health Brings Cheer to the Game
- Moneycontrol Pro Weekender | Perfect storm over China
- Sporting Quiz Of The Year
- NetEase (NTES) Q3 2020 Earnings Call Transcript
- Plains All American Pipeline (PAA) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
Nike cheers return of pro sports as earnings top expectations have 620 words, post on vir.com.vn at September 23, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.