– A project on water and flood management in the northern province of Vinh Phuc has had a significant role to play given the locality has been facing major inundation for many years, especially during the wet season .
This is the first project of this kind in the country to be implemented with World Bank concessional loans totalling 150 million USD. The project has total budget of 220 million USD
Statistics show that the province faces floods once every two and a half years on average during 2006-2013. The Phan River basin, which covers two thirds of the province's area and is home to 80 percent of the province's population, is frequently hit by rising water levels.
With support from international organisations such as the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and the Asian Development Bank (ADB), the province has invested in a range of projects to improve the Phan River's drainage capacity.
However, existing drainage infrastructure in the province is stretched beyond capacity when heavy rains strike, hence the urgent need for a flood control project.
Under the master urban plan for Vinh Phuc to 2030 and vision to 2050, the project's target area will be a first-grade urban centre in the future, with greenery and a large water surface area.
The province has decided to address the challenges posed by flooding and water pollution for its long-term sustainable development, and is focusing on improving agricultural production in the entire basin, ensuring safety in rural areas, Vinh Yen city, and economic development zones, and improving the investment environment to attract FDI.
According to the province's board on the management and use of foreign loans, once completed, the CW02 package will help enhance flood drainage capacity, lower water levels in the rivers, and prevent flooding from the Tam Dao area from flowing into the centre of Vinh Yen city.
Director of the province's board on the management and use of foreign loans, Ho Hoang Phuc, said the project has contributed to controlling floods in the central area of the province, preventing quality degradation of surface water, protecting the ecological environment of existing rivers, and creating sustainable development and a favourable environment to attract investors to Vinh Phuc .
- US Taps NCAR Technology for New Water Resources Forecasts
- Cell Phone Users to Help Protect Nation's Water Supply
- Remote-Sensing Streamflow Radar Provides Advance Warning for Flooding
- Saving a million acre-feet of water through conservation and efficiency in California
- Water Resilience That Flows
- Opinion: Water is the key to sustainability
- Spec Analysis: Project Morpheus
- Purdue Launches Shared, Open Geospatial Data Project
- 3D Models Help Scientists Gauge Flood Impact
- So Many People, So Little Food: Helping Feed the World through Genomics
- Project to Pour Water into Volcano to Generate Power
- HPC Helps Light the Dark Universe with Gravitational Wave Breakthrough
- Citizen Scientists Use Drones to Map El Nino Flooding
- Inside the next Xbox: Project Scorpio tech revealed
- Oceanographers use Supercomputers to Help Farmers in Bangladesh
- GOVERNMENT IT REPORT IT Solutions Navigator Cuts Through Choppy Procurement Waters
- Global project underway to preserve yam biodiversity
- Carnegie Mellon launches $7 million initiative to boost computer science majors
- NSF Awards $15 Million to Environmental Science Data Project
- Could 135,000 laptops help solve the energy challenge?
Multi-million USD project helps manage flooding, water resources in Vinh Phuc have 529 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at September 4, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.