LIONEL MESSI must sit out the entirety of next season in order to quit Barcelona for free, according to reports.
ESPN claim Barca’s interpretation of the Argentine’s deal is that the only way he could legally leave for nothing would be to put his career on hold.
That would see Messi, 33, have to forgo his £54million Nou Camp salary for a season and stop him from signing for a new club until next summer.
He had been hoping to leave the club for free inside the next couple of weeks due to a clause in his contract, but LaLiga have dismissed his claim, meaning his £630m release clause remains intact.
If Messi and Barcelona cannot come to an agreement then the matter may have to be settled in a landmark court case.
The report adds that despite the ongoing dispute, Barcelona’s offer of a two-year contract extension to their club captain remains on the table.
Yet the Catalans are not optimistic about tying Messi down with Manchester City believed to be in pole position to sign the Argentinian international.
The six-time Ballon d’Or winner is said to be facing a suspension and £1.1m fine for missing Barcelona’s return to pre-season training on Monday.
Speculation regarding his future had already intensified over the weekend after Messi snubbed the club’s coronavirus testing.
He believes he is no longer a Barcelona employee but Barca chiefs insist he is still the Nou Camp side’s captain.
Spanish media have stated that City are lining up an £89.5m bid for the forward, while also offering Gabriel Jesus and Eric Garcia in the opposite direction to sweeten the deal. However, SunSport understands Man City would not be willing to use Jesus as part of the deal.
Most read in Football
Messi ‘agrees Man City contract worth £623M’ as dad flies to Barca for talks
KEPT HIS GUARD UP
Messi dodged Guardiola’s Barca farewell and clashed over team selections
Man City ‘to pay Lionel Messi record £450m over five years with £225m BONUS’
Spurs set to sell £65m Ndombele after one season with Aurier and Foyth off too
Leeds slump to 3-0 defeat to Stoke less than two weeks until Liverpool game
WHAT A MESS
How Messi’s lawyers are fighting Barca on two fronts to argue he’s a free agent
There has even been talk that Messi has spoken to Pep Guardiola during which he told him he believes he can win two Ballon d’Or titles at the Etihad.
The 57-year-old allegedly wants to sit down with Messi’s father and agent, Jorge, when he lands in Spain this week.
- Did the Wildcats deserve a postseason bid? Arizona soccer team’s 2020-21 season recap
- Martin Braithwaite spent time in a wheelchair as a child; now he's Lionel Messi's wingman at Barcelona
- Lionel Messi next club: Barcelona ODDS-ON to keep Messi after Joan Laporta wins presidential election
- Lionel Messi ‘buys £5m luxury Miami apartment with 1,000-bottle wine cellar, access to SIX pools and a private chef’
- Lionel Messi ‘buys £5m luxury Miami apartment with a 1,000-bottle wine cellar, SIX pools and a private chef’
- Man City keen on Lionel Messi AND Erling Haaland as Pep Guardiola eyes superstar transfer in summer
- IPL 2020 mid-season transfer: These 5 big Indian stars to move to different teams
- IPL 2020 mid-season transfer: 3 players struggling Rajasthan Royals should buy to regain form
- Lionel Messi Could Be Offered Lifelong Deal From Barcelona, Report Claims
- Sergio Aguero ‘wants Barcelona free transfer but Ronald Koeman prioritising Man Utd flop Memphis Depay signing instead’
- What Went Wrong: 2020-21 Buffalo Sabres
- Golden Knights become first NHL team to clinch playoff spot in 2020-21
- How they got there: A complete recap of the 2020-21 Arizona women's basketball season
- OPINION: The 2020-21 NBA season has been a disaster
- Jofra Archer to miss entire IPL 2021
- Line of Duty season 6 spoiler-free review: a return to form for BBC drama
- While Rahul conundrum continues, uncapped trio likely to debut early in England series
- Haaland and Mbappe move into Champions League spotlight in absence of Messi and Ronaldo
- Koeman begs Messi to stay at Barcelona as he says ‘he can have no doubts about future of team’ despite Euro exit
- Messi happy again but Barca wonder if this Clasico will be his last
Lionel Messi would ‘need to MISS entire 2020-21 season to quit Barcelona on free’ as bitter row continues have 766 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at September 1, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.