NEW YORK, Aug. 14 (Xinhua) — The United States was “underprepared” for “the greatest public health crisis that hit this nation in a century,” a senior U.S. health official has said, as America has been the hardest-hit nation worldwide by COVID-19.
The “collateral damage” of the pandemic can be seen from the fact that public health officials have been forced to turn their focus away disproportionately from treating AIDS, Hepatitis C and other diseases, Robert Redfield, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said in an interview with WebMD chief medical officer John Whyte on Wednesday.
The novel coronavirus, which has contracted more than 5.3 million people and caused over 168,000 related deaths in the United States, has exposed many weaknesses of the U.S. health system.
“We have some states that we’re down to less than 40, 30, 20 contact tracers,” Redfield said. “We really haven’t invested, in this nation, in the core capabilities of public health.”
“Now is the time to invest in public health. Data, data analytics, predictive data analysis, laboratory resilience in our public health labs, public health workforce,” he said.
“We need to owe it to our children and grandchildren that this nation is never under-prepared again for a public health crisis,” Redfield said. Enditem
- During a public health crisis in the US, distancing power rests with the states
- Leaders and individuals must both play their part in public health
- One in four coronavirus patients have NO symptoms, CDC director says as he warns the virus will be 'with us' for the next TWO YEARS
- Protect a national treasure: The US Public Health Service
- SF's public health director on Laguna Honda: 'We expect the situation to unfortunately get worse'
- Staggering incompetence of our public health fatcats: An astonishing 242 health quango workers are on 6-figure salaries – yet nanny us about mobile phones and soft drinks... while dropping the ball on testing, writes GUY ADAMS
- Workforce inequalities must be addressed before another economic or health crisis
- Why the World Health Organization’s Response to COVID-19 Is Crucial to the Future of Public Health
- CDC Director Says There May Be Another Coronavirus Wave in Late Fall and a 'Substantial Portion of Americans' Will Be Susceptible
- As we face the gravest crisis in a century, Public Health England’s failings are hideously exposed
- England's ravaged public health system just can't cope with the coronavirus
- Trump Administration Has Turned Immigration Court Into ‘Public Health Hazard’
- LA County Department Of Public Health Issues 'Safer At Home' Order
- Sick and angry: Some public health officers are showing stress of coronavirus
- Novato Public Health Officer Issues New Shelter Order For Marin County
- Conservatives privilege ideology over expertise in this global health crisis
- In years before outbreak, investment in public health fell
- Report: Crammed Working Conditions for H-2A Foreign Workers Pose Public Health Risk
- L.A. County Public Health Director Updates Case Count, Delivers "Sobering" Look at Coronavirus Pandemic
- So who IS to blame for testing fiasco? Medical chief Chris Whitty and science adviser Patrick Vallance are in the firing line as Public Health England passes the buck insisting it has 'done its part'
U.S. "underprepared" for "greatest public health crisis" in century: CDC director have 506 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at August 15, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.