Joe Biden said on Saturday that as president, he would never use the military “as a prop or private militia” and accused President Donald Trump of employing US forces to settle “personal vendettas” and violate citizens’ rights.
The Democratic presidential nominee, in a virtual address to the National Guard Association of the United States’ general conference, said Trump recommended “that you should be deployed to quote, ‘dominate,’ your fellow citizens for exercising their right to peacefully protest.”
“We’re so much better than this,” Biden said. “You deserve so much better.”
His comments came a day after Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told Congress that the armed forces will have no role in carrying out the election process or resolving a disputed vote.
It was a sign of rising tensions on both sides as the president has declared without evidence that the expected surge in mail-in ballots during the coronavirus pandemic will make the vote “inaccurate and fraudulent.” Trump has also suggested he might not accept the election results if he loses.
Biden has said he’s “absolutely convinced” the military would escort Trump from the White House if the incumbent lost but refused to leave.
Biden didn’t repeat the assertion while addressing the conference, but promised to restore the separation between civilian and military powers which he called “the bedrock principal of our republic.”
“It’s been tested lately, but I promise you, as president, I’ll never put you in the middle of politics or personal vendettas,” the former vice president. “I’ll never use the military as a prop or as a private militia to violate rights of fellow citizens. That’s not law and order.”
That was a reference to Trump’s recent efforts to expand federal intervention into some cities as he makes “law and order” a centerpiece of his reelection bid, against the backdrop of protests against institutional racism and police brutality that have swept the country. In July, the president deployed federal forces to Chicago and Albuquerque, New Mexico, after earlier sending Homeland Security agents to Portland, Oregon.
Trump also announced this week that federal troops were being sent to Kenosha, Wisconsin, where unrest erupted after last weekend’s police shooting in the back of Jacob Blake, an unarmed Black man. Biden has said he’s considered traveling to Wisconsin to try and calm the situation, but only if it could be done “safely” and without inflaming circumstances “on the ground.”
- Late-Night Hosts Mock Joe Biden and Donald Trump's Fight Threats
- Joe Biden Challenges Donald Trump to a Pushup Contest
- Joe Biden Hits Donald Trump for Going After Bette Midler
- Trump says Dems using ‘con game’ to sink Kavanaugh; vote scheduled for Friday
- Donald Trump Wants to Decriminalize Homosexuality Worldwide but He’s Still No Ally, Not Even Close
- 'He's dead as a doornail and he didn't die bravely!' Donald Trump stomps on al-Baghdadi's grave as he tells police convention that 'he was a sick and depraved man'
- Seth Meyers Explains Why Donald Trump Is A Pigeon
- Donald Trump's top Russia adviser claims Rudy Giuliani and EU ambassador Gordon Sondland pushed for Ukraine to probe the Bidens - but says he never saw or heard 'anything illegal' including in THAT phone call
- It’s Past Time to Acknowledge the Way Joe Biden Acts Towards Women
- 'Go home, start exercising!' Donald Trump mistakenly fat-shames his OWN supporter when he shouts abuse at a MAGA rally protester - who turns out to be thin (but the president's fan STILL loves him)
- Trump Supporters Diamond and Silk Slam Joe Biden: ‘He Didn’t Have the Guts to Run’ For President
- Does Joe Biden Really Believe the Things He Says?
- Rudy Giuliani went to an Apple Genius Bar after locking himself out of his iPhone just after Donald Trump appointed him 'cybersecurity adviser' – and president's attorney now insists 'he is 100% in my corner'
- Joe Biden: 'Don't be surprised' if I run for president
- Don Jr. Immediately Mocked Avenatti’s Endorsement of ‘Creepy Uncle Joe’ Biden
- Joe Biden Blasts Trump's 'Debunked' China 'Conspiracy'
- WATCH: Trump Polls His Own Rallygoers on Nickname Ideas for Joe Biden
- Joe Biden Campaign Urges Fox News Not to Air Trump Ad
- Trump: Joe Biden is 'The Weakest Mentally'
- Bill Maher: 'What Does the Military See in Donald Trump?'
Joe Biden, aiming at Donald Trump, says he won’t use military as ‘prop’ have 723 words, post on m.hindustantimes.com at August 30, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.