The brother of a teenager who was gunned down in the middle of a street says he has lost his “best mate”.
Cole Kershaw, 18, was rushed to hospital after he was shot in the shoulder on Chesham Road, Bury on Wednesday evening.
He later died, prompting the launch of a murder investigation, with the gunman still at large.
His brother Patrick was with Cole just minutes before the shooting, Manchester Evening News reports.
On Thursday morning, devastated friends and family visited the scene to lay tributes. Among the tearful mourners was 17-year-old Patrick.
The brothers were with friends at a house on nearby Oram Street shortly before Cole was blasted on the corner of Chesham Road and Dawson Street.
They were supposed to get a taxi home together, but Cole decided to stay at the house.
He was later caught in the crossfire of an altercation between two groups of men.
Patrick said: "I got in a taxi and just left the house we were at.
"His best mate was with him. He got shot on the corner of Dawson Street and ran round.
"I came home and found out what happened. I ran back down straight away in my bare feet.”
Paying tribute to his brother, he added: “He was a party animal, an absolute legend.
"He wasn't involved in anything bad. He loved his boxing and was earning a trade as an apprentice scaffolder."
Morgan Thornton also showed up to pay her respects.
The 19-year-old was a close friend of former Derby High School pupil Cole, who lived with his family in Walmersley.
She said: "He did not deserve this. Cole was a good kid and had an amazing spirit.
"He was the life and soul of the party. It's just not going to be the same without him."
Taylor Phillipson, 19, and Tia Mawdsley, 18, were both at the gathering on Oram Street with Cole and Patrick.
They spoke of the moment they heard what had happened.
Ms Phillipson said: “He left the house and we rang his phone later but his friend answered.
“He kept saying ‘they have got him, they have got him. You need to come’. It was horrible.”
Police say they believe Cole was not the ‘intended target’ of the shooting.
It is believed he was a passenger in one of two vehicles which were involved in a chase away from Bury town centre.
When the cars came to a halt in Chesham Road, Cole climbed out of the Ford Mondeo before a man in the other vehicle, a silver-grey BMW, fired two or three shots from a handgun.
One of the bullets hit Cole in the shoulder.
Residents living near the scene said they heard the teenager’s chilling screams for help.
“He should never have been there,” said Ms Phillipson.
“He was the one trying to keep everyone away from it and keep people out of danger. Now he is the one who is dead.
“We are all in total shock. It does not seem real.
“Stuff like this doesn’t happen around here.”
Ms Mawdsley added: “Cole was the kindest, most caring person,
“He wanted the best for everyone. I always knew I could go to him for help any minute of the day.
“He was a real grafter and had his head screwed on.”
Police were called to Chesham Road, near to the junction with Dawson Street, at about 9.40pm after receiving reports of shots being fired in the street.
One witness said more than 10 police vehicles were at the scene on Wednesday evening.
People living close to Chesham Road reported seeing crowds of people gather on the street in the aftermath of the shooting.
Several roads in the area remained cordoned off throughout Thursday with forensic officers working at the scene.
- 'No Boris Johnsons were hurt in the making of this performance': British rapper slowthai says he does not condone violence 'in any form' after fury over him posing with an effigy of the PM's head at Mercury Prize ceremony
- Soldier who killed his best mate while messing about had posed with gun like a ‘gangsta’, declassified report reveals
- How did Indonesia's Jokowi and Prabowo go from enemies to best mates?
- Ryan Thomas’ brother Scott says he ‘will never forgive’ Roxanne Pallett for trying to ruin his life with Celebrity Big Brother ‘punch row’
- Lewis Capaldi mobbed by bikini-clad women at Ibiza pool party after saying he can’t pull
- My best mate organised a trip to Turkey to cheer me up after I nearly died in a car crash – but then stole all my holiday cash
- Strictly star Catherine Tyldesley's husband says he is prepared for infamous 'curse'
- On 'The View': 'Mayor Pete' Buttigieg says he wants to reach the 'whole country' in a long-shot bid for president
- Kane says he’ll support “walk off’’ over racial abuse
- Kevin Hart says he 'appreciates life more' as he makes first official appearance since car crash at People's Choice Awards
- Logan Paul blames KSI loss on illness and says he "thought he was going to die"
- LaMelo Ball Says He’ll Play For The Illawarra Hawks Of The NBL In Australia
- Fired chokehold cop Daniel Pantaleo will SUE NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill to get his job back as Eric Garner's daughter brands him a murderer and says he should have been sacked five YEARS ago
- 'You can't hide forever!' Boris Johnson vents fury at 'yellow belly' Jeremy Corbyn after MPs BLOCK his latest bid for snap election - then SHUTS Parliament for five weeks saying he will REFUSE to extend Brexit despite Remainer law
- Brotherly Love: Students Run Philly Style
- The incredible story of Al Capone's long-lost brother who changed his name and became a PROHIBITION officer - complete with a 10-gallon hat and the nickname 'Two Gun' Hart - before reconnecting decades later with his notorious criminal family
- 'Why are you so obsessed with me?' Hillary Clinton mocks Trump by tweeting 'Mean Girls' clip after he trolls her with his 'regrets' that there won't be a 2020 rematch
- 'What About Our Aftermath?': Tiffany Crutcher Remembers Her Brother, Terence, Two Years After His Death
- 'I was hated in prison cos I blamed my dead mate': Former Nomads president was called a 'dog' behind bars after letting his murdered best friend take the fall for him to reduce his jail sentence
- 'People don't trust us': What it's like raising Sudanese teenagers in Melbourne
Brother of teenager gunned down in street says he's 'lost his best mate' have 1069 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at August 13, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.