India has a robust stockpile of food, but the prolonged lockdown is hurting farmers and labourers. On 31 March, Asia’s biggest onion market fell silent. The market in Lasangaon in the western Indian state of Maharashtra usually thrums with farmers and traders. But the mostly migrant men and women who unload, load and grade onions – an essential part of the diet of millions of Indians – are missing. The market, which accounts for a third of India’s onion produce, managed to stumble along for nearly a week after India imposed a harsh 21-day lockdown, and suspended bus, train and air travel to prevent the spread of coronavirus. But the lockdown also led to an unprecedented exodus of workers from their places of work, to their homes in far-flung villages all over the country. Farmers were still able to go to their fields and pluck onions after the government made it clear that agriculture was an essential service. And a few workers had stayed back to keep the Lasangaon market running. But then came a news report that one person had tested positive for Covid-19 in the neighbourhood, and panic set in. The day the market stalled, some 450 tonnes… Read full this story
- Will there be food shortages after brexit and do you need to stockpile food?
- Government withheld Brexit information from councils to 'stop fuel and food shortages'
- No food shortage expected after Brexit unless people panic buy
- Detainees in North Fly command cells face serious food shortage
- No-deal Brexit will lead to food shortages and cost business billions, UK Government confirms
- Manchester warns of food shortages under ‘catastrophic’ no-deal Brexit
- UK prepares for food shortages and transport disruptions as hard Brexit looms
- India 'is space power' after missile test
- Award-winning chef Sunil Ghai of Pickle brings a taste of north India to Ireland
- The Big Apple-inspired food and drink store on Tyneside that's proving a big hit
Will coronavirus lockdown cause food shortages in India? have 330 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at July 4, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.