Senegal resumed international flights on Wednesday, four months after severing air links because of the coronavirus pandemic.
An Air Algerie flight arrived at Dakar’s international airport at midnight Tuesday and six other flights were scheduled to depart Senegal and arrive throughout the day, according to the Ministry of Air Transport.
Passengers departing for the West African country are required to present proof from an approved laboratory that they have tested negative for coronavirus within the previous seven days.
The certificate has to come from a lab in the country where the trip originated.
“I can confirm that everything is going well,” the ministry’s director of air transport, Omar Khassimou Dia, told AFP.
International commercial flights for repatriation had continued to depart and arrive intermittently in Dakar after the closure of air borders in March.
Land and sea borders remain closed.
Senegal lifted its state of emergency and curfew, imposed in March to stem the spread of the virus, at the end of June.
The restrictions had triggered violent protests, as seen in several countries in the region.
The number of cases in Senegal continues to climb, however, with more than 8,300 infections and 153 deaths recorded since March 2.
President Macky Sall said in a televised speech last month that the impoverished country could see a recession due to the pandemic, and that “productive activity must be resumed in order to get our economy going again”.
- Qantas launches new international flight routes to Japan
- Flights resume at Libya's Mitiga airport in Tripoli
- World Food Day: Senegal makes gains towards fighting malnutrition
- Winters are here, so are disruptions: Three flights cancelled, 10 delayed at Chandigarh airport
- Oil companies likely to resume fuel supply to Air India at six airports
- Iraqi troops resume Mosul fight after 2-week lull
- Australia's Far expects outcome over Senegal oil field dispute early next year
- Mount Agung: Flights resume after Bali volcano disruption
- Oscars: Examining The Expanded International Feature Film Shortlist Possibilities
- American Airlines cancels Boeing 737 Max flights until at least April
- Heritage ignored: With no flights, Mohenjo Daro at risk of being forgotten
- Jetstar strike: 120 domestic flights cancelled on Friday and weekend
- Air Peace receives 5th ERJ 145, set for Sokoto, Katsina flights
- Kate and William catch budget flight back from Scottish holiday with their children after earning praise for shunning private jets favoured by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
- Delhi airport hopes to fight flight disruptions due to fog with better tech
- GoAir starts maiden flight to Saudi Arabia
- Nearly 5,000 flights delayed, cancelled in two months
- United flight makes emergency landing after engine spits apparent sparks
- Direct US flights: Vietnam’s 16-year-old dream remains unfulfilled
- Chinese airline launches first direct flight from Hai Phong to Kunming
Senegal resumes international flights after four months have 451 words, post on www.vanguardngr.com at July 15, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.