Fernandes scored a 71st-minute penalty and substitute Jesse Lingard netted in the eighth minute of stoppage time as United defeated Leicester 2-0 on the final day of the Premier League season.
After Anthony Martial was fouled by Jonny Evans inside the penalty area, Fernandes stepped up to convert the spot-kick with 19 minutes remaining at the King Power Stadium, where Lingard completed the scoring at the death on Sunday.
Fernandes has transformed United since his January arrival from Portuguese outfit Sporting CP – the star midfielder’s eight league goals and seven assists helping Solskjaer’s side complete an unlikely comeback in the top-four chase, having found themselves fifth, 14 points and 20 goals worse off than Leicester in second following the January 1 defeat to Arsenal.
“We have to admit that he’s come in and been a massive influence. He’s made a massive impact,” Solskjaer told reporters.
“He’s been fantastic scoring goals, creating goals, but also his enthusiasm and mentality around the place has helped. Maybe today you can see a tired Bruno, and that’s natural because he’s played too much.
“You can see his passion. He’s moaning a little bit here and there, so we’ll have to take that away from him sometimes. But he’s stepped up, calm as you like, and slotted away the penalty.”
Solskjaer added: “I need to go and watch him myself [before signing a player]. I’ve always known, I’ve seen him on telly and that stuff, when I went to see him live he was exceptional in his enthusiasm, the way he wanted to win, winning mentality. That was fantastic when I saw him.
“But I have to go back to all the chief scouts. The scouting network has been really good, so it’s not like I can just pick someone and if five of them say no, I’ll force things through. It’s a team effort there as well. But of course, Bruno has come in and been fantastic for us.”
- Football: Four-star Everton pile on the agony for United boss Solskjaer
- Stopping Messi not mission impossible for Manchester United, says Solskjaer
- United boss Solskjaer praises ‘fantastic 80 minutes’ after win at Fulham
- United boss Solskjaer hopes for PSG repeat against Barcelona
- Football: Solskjaer aims to replicate spirit of '99 at Manchester United
- Football: Solskjaer hails United's 'fantastic' history makers
- Solskjaer named permanent manager of Manchester United
- Football: Man City crush Schalke 7-0 to reach Champions League quarter-finals
- Football: Manchester United website hints that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be the interim boss, replacing sacked Jose Mourinho
- Football: Solskjaer promises no complacency as permanent Man United boss
- Solskjaer the right choice but needs time at Manchester United
- Manchester United defender Jones extends deal to 2023
- Manchester United can't afford any more slip-ups, says Matic
- Football: Manchester United ticket campaign drops Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hint
- Football: Can Solskjaer save Manchester United's season?
- Fred must seize his chance to shine, say Man United boss
- Football: Premier League's 'fab four' dominate Champions League quarter-finals
- Football: Rampant City crush Schalke with magnificent seven in Champions League
- Manchester United into top four with 3-0 win at Fulham
- Manchester United counts cost of Mourinho's departure
Manchester United boss Solskjaer hails impact of Fernandes en route to Champions League have 671 words, post on www.mykhel.com at July 27, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.