Flights to New Zealand are now unavailable until September 1, despite expectations that the neighbouring countries were preparing to open a trans-Tasman bubble with Australia, while flights elsewhere are no longer available until March 28, 2021.
Travel between the countries remained suspended after New Zealand closed its borders to the world on March 19.
The international flight suspension follows Qantas grounding its fleet of double-decker A380 plans for at least three years as well, and retiring six Boeing 747s, Executive Traveller reported
Flights to New Zealand are now unavailable despite rumour the country was preparing to open the trans-Tasman bubble. Pictured: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern
A Qantas spokesman told Daily Mail Australia ‘all international and sale flights have been removed from the website’ until further notice due to the coronavirus pandemic.
He did not confirm whether flights to New Zealand would resume from September 1, just that they were able to be viewed on the Qantas website.
‘There are some international flights in the system but they are not currently operating,’ he said.
Travellers looking to head overseas can still book trips through the Qantas website, however.
Flights to the US, Asia and Europe will now be serviced through partner airlines, including Emirates, British Airways and Cathay Pacific.
The move was designed to prevent new bookings being made with Qantas. All previously arranged flights will remain in place.
Qantas’ decision comes jusat weeks after the airline slashed 6,000 jobs - 20 per cent of its workforce – and chief executive Alan Joyce predicted international flights were unlikely to resume until July 2021.
‘We have never experienced anything like this before – no-one has. All airlines are in the biggest crisis our industry has ever faced,’ he said in June.
Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce (pictured) predicted international flights were unlikely to resume until July 2021
‘Revenues have collapsed, entire fleets are grounded and the world biggest carriers are taking extreme action just to survive.
‘IATA –the peak body for airlines – says it will take more than three years for global travel to return to 2019 levels.’
The international flight suspension followed the carrier’s decision to ground its fleet of double-decker A380 plans for at least three years, and also to retire six Boeing 747s, Executive Traveller reported.
Airlines still travelling to and from Australia with cargo and essential travellers include Delta, United, Air New Zealand and Qatar Airways, the Australian Embassy confirmed.
Airlines still travelling to and from Australia with cargo and essential travellers include Delta, United, Air New Zealand and Qatar Airways, the Australian Embassy confirmed
Delta started its Los Angeles to Sydney route on July 1 and United has been operating its San Francisco to Sydney route throughout the pandemic, Executive Traveller reported.
The later airline also hopes to fly 25 per cent of its international flights by August.
Trade Minister Simon Birmingham said last month that Australia’s borders were likely to remain closed for another four months.
He said the government was unlikely to reopen the border to international travellers until next year – but would look to relax entry rules for students and other long-term visitors.
‘We can simply work through the 14-day quarantine periods that have worked so well in terms of returning Australians to this country safely,’ Mr Birmingham said in a speech to the National Press Club.
- Democratic legislator's flight dust-up is just the latest airline controversy
- What to do when weather delays your flight
- Holiday travel: 10 tips to make Thanksgiving, Christmas flights less stressful
- Atlanta: Hundreds of flights canceled Monday in power outage fallout
- Holiday travel tips: How to avoid headaches at the airport
- Stench that diverted San Francisco flight came from 'someone or something in the cabin'
- What to do in January to save on airfare all year
- 4 burning holiday travel questions, answered
- Flights halted at British airport after jet leaves runway
- Special Report: The Life and Legacy of Aretha Franklin (March 25, 1942
- Alaska Airlines flight from SF to New Orleans diverted to Los Angeles due to 'strong odor'
- Traveling for the holidays? Then consider buying travel insurance
- Flights to Knoxville canceled after Atlanta airport power outage
- Workplace: How to stay focused at work during the holidays
- Neighbors: Four South Bay high school students bring home the bronze from international volleyball tournament
- Travel year in review: Mother Nature strikes back
- CARIBBEAT: New York organizations don’t forget about Hurricane Matthew victims in Haiti
- Hearing underway for 16-year-old in mom’s death
- Florida airport shooter Esteban Santiago might have planned New Year's Eve trip to New York: report
- Wasted money: Average tax refund over past 10 years is too high
Forget about that overseas holiday: Qantas cancels all international flights until MARCH next year have 800 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at July 14, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.