NEW DELHI: The International Cricket Council announced on Monday that teams would participate in a new one-day international Super League to determine qualification for the 50-over World Cup in 2023.
Thursday’s one-day international between world champions England and Ireland in Southampton will be the inaugural match of the 13-nation league, with World Cup hosts India and the next seven highest-placed teams automatically qualifying for the 2023 edition.
The ICC’s 12 full members and the Netherlands will take part with each side playing four home and four away three-match series.
The coronavirus pandemic has caused havoc with the cricket calendar with the 50-over and T20 World Cups pushed back. The start of the Super League was also delayed due to COVID-19.
The ICC said it was working with national boards to find dates for series in the new Super League to be “safely and practically rescheduled.”
“The decision last week to move the (50-over) World Cup back to late 2023 gives us more time to schedule any games lost due to COVID-19 and preserve the integrity of the qualification process, meaning it will be decided on the field of play, which is important,” said ICC general manager Geoff Allardice.
Under the previous qualifying system for last year’s World Cup in England, the top eight teams in the ICC rankings were joined by the top two sides from a qualifying tournament to make up the 10-team event.
“We’re looking forward to playing cricket again and to the ICC men’s World Cup Super League,” said England’s limited-overs captain Eoin Morgan.
“Given the situation, it will be quite different to the last time we played at home, when we lifted the World Cup at Lord’s, but it’s nice to be starting our journey for the next edition of the tournament.”
Ireland’s captain Andrew Balbirnie said: “It is obviously going to be a huge challenge taking on the team that won the World Cup just a year ago, but we have prepared well and have taken confidence from our form over the early months of 2020.
“What is important is that we are getting back on the field. I hope international cricket’s return is steady during these challenging times.”
The later qualifying tournament will feature five of the 13 sides that fail to get through directly against five associate nations.
The start of the Super League comes nearly a year after the ICC launched a world Test championship between the nine top-ranked teams.
“The league will bring relevance and context to ODI cricket over the next three years, as qualification for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 is at stake,” said Allardice.
“The Super League gives cricket fans around the world even more reasons to watch as the drama of league cricket unfolds,” he added.
Cricket came to a grinding halt in March due to the virus outbreak and it returned early this month with England hosting West Indies in a three-Test series.
- Wales head coach John Kear has plan for 2021 Rugby League World Cup and beyond
- Scotland head coach Nathan Graham ready for Rugby League World Cup return
- Rohit Sharma hopes Indian team bring back U-19 World Cup trophy
- Rugby League World Cup 2021: Kevin Sinfield wary of danger posed to England by debutants Greece
- Prince Harry to be face of Rugby League World Cup mental health campaign
- Prince Harry pulls England out of the pot in Rugby League World Cup draw
- Rugby League World Cup 2021 draw LIVE: Start time, TV channel, live stream as Prince Harry conducts draw
- Prince Harry laughs off family drama in first public appearance at Rugby League World Cup draw
- ICC 2021 T20 World Cup in India: Four teams to qualify from 16-team Qualifier
- Under-19 World Cup: Ravi Bishnoi Stars As India Thrash Debutants Japan By 10 Wickets
- Jeff Van Gundy has Americans on brink of World Cup berth
- ICC U 19 World Cup South Africa vs Afghanistan Highlights: Ghafari stars as Afghans thump hosts
- In Our Last Two World Cups we Lacked in Handling Pressure: Harmanpreet Kaur
- India Vs England, Highlights, Women's World Cup 2017 Final: England Beat India By 9 Runs, Clinch Title
- Bangladesh coach criticises lack of World Cup reserve days after another washout
- 2026 World Cup awarded to USA, Mexico, Canada
- Format, favourites, rising stars: all you need to know about the Under-19 World Cup
- The World Cup on social media
- India Under-19 qualify for Super League, Bangladesh stay perfect
- ICC U19 World Cup: A world record holder, a Kargil war veteran’s son and a host of talent - All you need to about India U19 team
Cricket teams to compete in one-day Super League for World Cup spots have 743 words, post on www.thenews.com.pk at July 27, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.