Sugar Land Skeeters officials recently announced former Astros pitcher Roger Clements will partner with his son, Koby Clements, to co-manage a professional baseball team as part of a new four-team indie league set to play at Constellation Field July 3 to Aug. 23.
“It’s imperative that we continue to serve our role in the community as a family-friendly entertainment venue and now, more than ever, we realize how important that role is,” Skeeters Owner Kevin Zlotnik said in a media release. “It’s also going to be critical that it’s a safe environment for our fans, staff and players and we’re working with Memorial Hermann and our local and state officials to ensure we provide that.”
Fans will reportedly be in attendance with the plan in place for games to be held under the requirements of Texas health guidelines as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention with regards to stadium capacity and social distancing. Players will be tested for COVID-19 at least once a week, as well as prior to their arrival in Sugar Land, according to league officials. The teams will consist of former Major Leaguers and an assortment of professional players who’ve appeared at affiliated minor league levels as well as independent leagues.
“I’m excited to be a part of this and I think the Zlotniks and the Skeeters organization are providing a great opportunity for these younger players to keep their skill sets sharp,” Clemens said in a media release.
The season will feature 56 games with each team playing 28 games. Skeeters manager Pete Incaviglia will also manage a team with two additional managers yet to be announced.
“This is something that is going to be really special and is going to serve as a huge boost to the baseball community by providing this opportunity for players,” Incaviglia said.
The Skeeters are currently compiling a pool of players that are set to be drafted by the managers of their respective teams prior to their arrival. Announcements regarding the rosters for the teams are forthcoming.
“We’ve always prided ourselves on being an organization that gives players another chance,” Zlotnik said. “Given the unfortunate releases of hundreds of minor league players over the last few weeks, we realized there was a major need for a league like this. Already, we’ve received commitments from guys with great resumes, former Major Leaguers, former first-rounders and high-caliber prospects. I know people are going to be really impressed with the quality of play.”
There will be a total of seven games played at Constellation Field each week from the Opening Day on July 3 through the conclusion of the season on Aug. 23. The schedule is subject to change, but single games are anticipated to be played on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and doubleheaders on most Saturdays and Sundays. Tickets for the games are not yet available.
- Top 10 high school baseball tournaments
- Inside Cristiano Ronaldo's Unexpected Private World
- FMIA Week 17: 49ers’ Thrilling Win vs. Seahawks Sets Table for NFL Playoffs
- The Sports Report: Lakers beat Warriors, Clippers routed by Timberwolves
- FMIA—Patrick Mahomes Reflects on LIV Turnaround By Following Dad’s Advice: ‘It’s All About The Next Pitch’
- Our Lesser Islands
- FMIA Week 14: How George Kittle and the ‘Choice’ Route Helped Lift 49ers Over Saints in the Game of the Year
- The Sports Report: Dodgers get Mookie Betts and David Price. We mean it this time.
- FMIA Super Bowl LIV: How the Chiefs ‘Put the Stinger’ in the 49ers and The Backstory on 2-3 Jet Chip Wasp
- FMIA Week 12: Why Dominant, Deep 49ers Might Be NFL’s Scariest Team
- The 10 Most Innovative Companies in Sports
- The Hill's Morning Report - Trump acquitted; Romney breaks ranks on impeachment
- Why David Beckham is desperate to keep Inter Miami out of the suburbs
- Rockies prospect guide: Roster contenders and top pitchers, position players to watch heading into 2020 spring training
- Lil Wayne: Return of the Hip-Hop King
- Super Bowl 2020: The Best and Worst Ad Spots
- Shaquille O’Neal: A Celebrity for the New World
- XFL 2020: Which team should you adopt? Here are some reasons to root for each
- The Sports Report: Clippers slip past the Spurs
- Delhi Exit Poll Result 2020 LIVE: Sudarshan News predicts AAP will win 40-45 seats
Sugar Land Skeeters to host pro-baseball league at Constellation Field have 845 words, post on www.chron.com at June 11, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.