Former Vice President Joe Biden formally clinched the Democratic presidential nomination on Friday, media reported, setting the stage for a challenge to President Donald Trump in the November election.
The Associated Press and CBS News both projected that Biden passed the 1,991 delegates he needs to be chosen as nominee at the party’s national convention, with contests still to come in eight states and three U.S. territories.
Biden won the delegates after seven states and the District of Columbia held presidential primaries on Tuesday.
"It was an honor to compete alongside one of the most talented groups of candidates the Democratic party has ever fielded — and I am proud to say that we are going into this general election a united party," Biden said in a statement.
"I am going to spend every day between now and November 3rd fighting to earn the votes of Americans all across this great country so that, together, we can win the battle for the soul of this nation, and make sure that as we rebuild our economy, everyone comes along," he said.
- 'That little girl was me': Kamala Harris spars with Joe Biden at first Democratic debate
- 'Nope, that's not true': Kamala Harris fires back when Joe Biden misspeaks at Democratic debate
- Pete Buttigieg on How He Plans to Win the Democratic Nomination and Defeat Trump
- Biden's key role in 1994 crime bill attacked by both Trump and Democrats
- Another one bites the dust! Virtual unknown 2020 Democratic candidate Wayne Messam drops out of race (but that STILL leaves 17 running)
- Fight night! Ten Democrats will debate in primetime tonight in first of two debates with NBC promising moderators Lester Holt and Savannah Guthrie WILL close down candidates led by Elizabeth Warren if they talk too much
- Democratic debate: Rising Buttigieg could face attacks
- Elizabeth Warren cements status as Democratic frontrunner by being focus of rivals' attack in 2020 debate, but it's Bernie who gets AOC and her Squad's coveted endorsement, as all 12 candidates unite behind impeaching Trump
- Joe Biden derides reporter for asking him about son Hunter's baby with 28-year-old ex-college athlete - then tells a heckler to vote for Donald Trump!
- While leading nationally, Joe Biden faces headwinds in Iowa
- Hunter Biden, 49, IS the father of Arkansas woman's child, paternity test confirms and the 28-year-old is demanding child support for their baby, who is eligible for Secret Service protection because of grandpa Joe's political status
- The 2 events that reshaped the Democratic primary race
- Who Should Be Joe Biden’s Running Mate (If There Is One)?
- Joe Biden Lied in 1987 with Claim He Marched in Civil Rights Movement
- 9 things to look for ahead of tonight's Democratic debate
- Biden stays out front despite standout debate from Harris: Poll
- Joe Biden Planning One-on-One Showdown With Warren
- Joe Biden's 2020 Plan is Almost Complete. Democrats Are Impatient.
- 'We got things done': Biden recalls 'civility' with segregationist senators
- 2020 Daily Trail Markers: What to look for at Wednesday's Democratic debate
Biden formally clinches U.S. Democratic nomination - reports have 480 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at June 6, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.